1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Experienced input needed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ridehard44, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ridehard44

ridehard44 Junior Member
    from Mn

I am seiously considering plowing this winter. I know there is more to this than bolting on a plow and making $$. Things are not that easy. My problem is the only snow I have moved has been in my driveway. I know nothing about the plowing buisiness. I have a truck (F250 diesel) and will get a plow if I can make enough $$$ to pay for a good chunck of it. I would like to sub or plow for someone who would show me the "RIGHT' way to run a plowing business.I know experience comes with time, but the school of hard knocks is expensive, and I would rather learn the ropes from a pro. I am dependable, ambitious and anal about being on time and doing my job. My question is, "is this a realistic goal?" and if it is how would I get in touch with an established contractor? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

to start, find someone to sub from, figure out what he is willing to pay you, that well start you down your bath, i like your ambition, and your additude :) So, once you find someone you feel comfortable subing with, then get them to help you pick out a plow,

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Post an ad in the local paper or craigslist as a sub for hire. Drive someone else's truck before you make the investment in your own plow. This biz ain't for everybody.

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

well said, putting a plow on ur 250 is a big investment, you'll need a different fan clutch depending on the year and maybe a larger alternator, you'll have a couple thousand to recoup for sure.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sit back and read all the different posts on this site and that will give you a TON of info.