1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Experience with Western Hydraulic Spreaders?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tjdonald, Oct 12, 2002.

1. tjdonald

tjdonald Junior Member

I am looking for a new spreader, and was curious if anyone had any experience with Western's (or any other ) Hydraulic V spreader. I am thinking this setup would be a lot quieter than gas engine models? I am assuming the electric load from the pump wouldn't be too much of an issue?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I don't know of an electric pump that would run a spreader. Not enough GPM from the pump. These spreaders need an engine driven pump installed. This is called central hydraulics and is a considerable investment.

Maybe look at the electric spreaders now on the market.

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

What about a electric driven sander? Dino has had great luck with his.

Just my 2 cents

4. tjdonald

tjdonald Junior Member

Yes I am finding the choices overwhelming these days...
    The hydraulic unit I mentioned is listed at Western site
    http://www.westernplows.com/products.asp?prod=spreadspec

However no one knows much about it or has seen one. Not sure if the pump is gas powered then like you mentioned.

I have looked at Air-Flow MSS electric, Sno-Way V speader and Sno-Way Opti-Flow electric. I believe I will be spreading mostly salt however didn't want to get locked into only that option so V setup or the MSS seem to be the only choice but I am concerned over its small capacity of the MSS but like the price for a stainless setup.

Any comments or recommendations?

5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

From what I can see Western doesn't offer an electric V box.The hydraulic model is not driven by an electric motor.

Try this link they offer excellent sanders http://www.smithspreaders.com/small.html

Good Luck

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

tjdonald-

Mike is correct, Western does not offer an electric model as far as I know. It seems you may have some unanswered questions regarding how the hydraulic units work. They have no engine. They are strictly run by hydraulics (under the hood of your engine). There is no electricity involved. The hydraulic pump is driven by a belt under your hood to produce hydraulic pressure using the fluid stored in a reservoir. The reservoir generally is located somewhere under the bed of your truck and is plumbed to the front where the pump is likely to be located. I'm no hydraulics or mechanical expert by any stretch of the imagination, so I hope I have been of some help.

Hydraulic setups are great. However, they are expensive to setup. If you figure that the hydro unit runs $3500 (minimum) and the spreader $3500 (mild steel), you would have $7k US invested in spreading salt with an existing truck, although the hydro unit could be used for a bed hoist, plow (in place of the electric motors found on most smaller full size trucks), etc. As a rule, hydraulic setups are used in medium duty trucks and larger, eventhough they can be setup in full size pickups, too. My guess as to the reason behind this fact is the cost factor.

Although hydro units are great, it sounds like you may want to look into the Smith Stainless Steel Electric spreader for economical reasons. That unit is powered by electricity and they are said to draw very little amperage with the exception of when they are first turned on.

Also, depending on your GVWR and specific capacity needs, you may want to look into the Trynex SP 6000 or SP 8000. They are both electric driven and have vibrator to assure even flow. There are two features about them that I find outstanding. First, they are made of poly (no rust). Second, they weigh 350 and 400 lbs apiece, respectively. They are capable of spreading salt and a salt/sand mix if you prefer to waste your customer's money and make a mess. :)

I talked to a representative of Pace who is a Trynex distributor and he told me that next year they are planning on making a kit so you can spread calcium chloride (read as smaller diameter materials) with it, too. The Trynex units hold 1 yd and 1.5 yds each depending upon which model you buy. They are designed for 6 ft and 8 ft beds, hence the 6000 and 8000 series. I was given a stack of brochures and will gladly mail one to you if these spreaders interest you.

Good luck. I know there are many good options for you to choose from no matter which way you go.

7. tjdonald

tjdonald Junior Member

Thanks for the info and recommendations. When I started all this I really only needed a salt spreader and originally was looking at sno-way opti flow (since there is local shop in town selling them). After thinking that I wanted to be able to add sand occasionally, I went to the air-flo MSS tailgate spreader. Then I was concerned over capacity of the tailgate units -- that lead to Air-Flo's hopper spreader and then back to sno-way's stainless V spreader....... all the time adding $$ along the way.

Looking at last year's profits, I should only be considering a lawn push spreader ! But unless anyone has had bad luck with the sno-qway equipment, I may just get the opti-flow.

Trevor

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

... and that's the snowplower's story. You start out looking at one thing, then wind up with something else that's about twice as much because "it'll really pay off in the end"