1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Experience with V plows ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LPD, Sep 20, 2007.

1. LPD

LPD Junior Member

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the V plows? Are they worth the extra weight and money?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What kind of plowing are you going to be doing?

I think the V plow is worth every penny.
    When I went to a V plow it cut alot of time off my route leaving time for more accounts.

3. LPD

LPD Junior Member

Well... I have a place in northern lower Michigan where I leave my snowmobiles inside. We dont get up there as often as I'd like.. Usually need to break snow from 2 to 6 weeks of inattention. 6 to 24 inches on ground, banks at the road. About 1/4 or 1/2 mile of plowing. I use an old 76 Dodge Sno-Fiter with a factory Meyers plow. Most of the snow ends up on the windshield and hood. If the Dodge can't cut it, I use the 4x4 tractor with front loader. The Dodge isn't as young as it once was and I'm looking tho replace itwith a new truck and plow.

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

ive only heard 2 bad things about v plows if they are true i dont know its just what ive heard

- they dont back drag as well
    - they dont scrape the pavement as well

once again this is just what ive heard i may be wrong.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I One of my trucks is a 74 sno-commander. I know where you are coming from.:nod:

For your application I would get a V plow with out hesitation.
    They work great for busting open cabin roads.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: HEARD......:nono:

True, It MIGHT take one more pass to back drag as well as some other plows do.
    But they scrage as well or better than most.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's the perfect application for a V.

8. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

once i got my v plow i never looked back . i have a long ............ dirt driveway with some other driveways i do and i break right thur the drifts no issue anymore . no more chisel away the snow to get the job done. a rubber or plastic flap is the key in not getting snow all over your windsheild

9. LPD

LPD Junior Member

How well does the V plow do at road plowing, that is, full angle continuous runs? Doesn't the hinge in the center interrupt the contour of the moldboard? With the strait plow I can do a nice job on normal two car width road with four full angle high speed passes throwing the snow well to the side. Also does the center hinge section ever pack with wet snow and freeze, etc. ?

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Never had a problem windrowing.
    At slow speed the center hinge is a little hindrance, if you are watching from the front you might notice it other than that you will never notice it and with a little speed it throws the snow to the side just like a straight blade.

It never froze or packed with snow .

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A V will do a 2 lane raod with 3 passes. One down the middle with the blade in a V position and then back with a full angle in both directions. You can plow all day angled and it works great. Nicest thing is clean-up. Put the blade in a scoop position and get all the snow trails in one pass.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Alaskaboss has some nice pics posted of a boss V plowing roads.
    do a search.
    With a 9.5 you should cone close to maintaining a narrow 2lane in two pass.
    If the snow is deep do as hydro37 suggests.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, especially in your neck of the woods, LPD.

You are correct--from my experiences, but I would not consider it a problem for your application. You'll love it compared to a straight. Never had a problem with it packing\freezing either.

14. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

If ur doing residentals, get a straight blade, or better yet a hiniker C plow.
    If ur doing commercial, get a v. **** but stay away from hiniker then. I've only had problems with them, but for residentals, the c plow works wonders.