1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Experience with CAT 259 B3...question about studs

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by SMLCAT, Feb 13, 2014.

SMLCAT Member

We got 14" of wet heavy snow in SW VA overnight and had the first opportunity to use my new to me 259 B3 with an 8' plow.

Overall I was pleased with its performance on fairly level roads and driveways. Traction was good and plowing the heavy snow wasn't as bad as expected. The roads around here were plowed with large JD 4wd tractors that were chained up. Tandem dumps were not able to make the first cut on secondary roads.

I think that installing some carbide studs on the pads of the track would help tremendously. In looking around there are several options and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to which brand seems best.

SMLCAT Member

Is everyone still pushing snow ??
  3. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

These should work for you if you really want studs http://www.gripstuds.com/. If your happy with the traction and plow on asphalt and or concrete, I wouldn't recommend these studs, they will mark up anything you turn or spin on.
    You are better off buying a set of tracks that will work better in the snow or just deal with what you have.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014