1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

experience needed - #

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rocks&blocks, Nov 12, 2012.

1. rocks&blocks

rocks&blocks Junior Member

Advice with numbers please

Hi guys, new guy here in the snow business (20yrs landsc). I have been running over numbers and I do not quit have a handle on what my true numbers should be.

I picked up some sub work for this years which i am content with being new. But because of my experience in snow I feel like a duck out of water, not nailing down our regions industry numbers.

I am currently clearing 7.5 acres (case 85xt/10' push) all I do is clear and pile. The site has quit a few curbs,parking stall and ins and outs, there are some open areas too. I have a couple long pushes around 1500 ft in about three areas. So far I have completed in 5 hrs. and 7hrs.
    flat rate if $525.00 3cm trigger. Does this sound fair or should I be asking for more. The contractor claims he is only in at 610.00 a visit? Personally I think he is low, just don't know. (he clears walks and salt/sands, says that where his money is at)

I am also clearing another 3.2 acres which takes me around 2hrs. for 310.00. (easy push straight forward). So for a 8 h-9hr shift I am at $835.00 (fuel $100.00), Doesnt seem bad,( i get to play) but when i look at what I am clearing, 10.7 acres, am I leaving anything on the table. ???? Thanks
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I am assuming that the loader is owned by you, considering that you included fuel expence. If so, is it fully paid for? Also being a sub, you should have insurance. The insurance cost needs to be taken into account.

Personally, the numbers don't seem too far off as long as you aren't making payments on the machine. But I also don't do anything that large yet. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.
  3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I get $125 an hour for my 00 Komatsu K 120 with a 12ft box and a 3yd bucket. It is paid for and that includes diesel and an operator full insured with comp. Boston MA
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

For where you are & considering you are the sub, that is not bad. You did get hammered pretty good with the last/first few snowfalls, I'm willing to bet you make better time throughout year.
  5. rocks&blocks

Yes the equipment is paid for. Fuel was included, and I am fully insured.

We did get hammered hard 40-50 cm in two days. So i am assuming the pushes are not going to get any deeper. 125 sounds better though. ( but a fair deal is ok )

First time in years I am actually wanting the snow and getting excited when we get it!

Been talking with a few guys around here. I am amazed at how different the prices are, they are literally all over the place, been kinda tough to get good comparisons yet.

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

You make a great point at the prices "being all over the place". Much of getting better compensation for your time is all in the presentation and your people skills. Sell your service, communication, response times, attention to detail etc. Let them know that you are always available for questions 24 hours a day during a storm. Higher end customers arent so concerned with the price as much as they are concerned that the job gets done well within their parameters, and ensuring one less headache to deal with...
  7. rocks&blocks

I would agree with you there. Being my first year back at snow in a very long time I am going to go with subbing for now.

As I get more comfortable I will transition into being the prime contractor. Did have one guy offer me 65/hr.( for quit a bit of work) told him I wasn't interested.