1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Experience needed!!!!......RUSTED/BUSTED

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by osomany?s, Nov 12, 2012.

1. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

Currently storing my snowplow trucks on a plain dirt lot with no grass and no rocks...as i have been getting ready for what will hopefully be a tough winter and net all us snow plow freaks a nice windfall i seem to be replacing an awful lot of light steel(tranny lines and pans as well as brake lines a gas tank it seems the rust is forming before my eyes????anyone with some hands on experience i would appreciate it. i heard rca mixture would slow the rusting process down is this true??if so how thick of a pad is reccomended???
    RUSTED/BUSTED&THANKS

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid Film

3. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

fluid film

sorry but can u be a little more specific??

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

X2 on the film. And ill throw a preps all your way too

5. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Moisture/humidity causes rust. Storing the trucks over dirt means exposing them to more mosture than storing them over pavement or concrete. I would suggest putting down something on the lot to reduce the moisture. Pave it maybe?

Fluid film is a brand name that seems to really get thrown around a lot lately. Basically, you just need to splash on something that will displace water and seal the metal. Used motor oil works just as well, though I suggest protecting the exhaust pipe before underspraying with oil, or you'll stink pretty bad for a while as it burns off.

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Moisture/humidity + oxygen causes rust, but road salt greatly accelerates it. Rinse your undercarriage every time the weather warms up enough that you won't cause rinsewater ice to expand in all the wrong places, and a few times in the spring. Pickups can go through a car wash (with undercarriage rinse option of course); everything including bigger trucks can get rinsed by an oscillating lawn sprinkler.

Combined with protection (whether oil, protective paint, a product like Fluid Film, or traditional asphalt or rubberized undercoating), you can reduce but not eliminate rust and rot.

Beyond protection and rinsing, make a list of fasteners to turn once a year to prevent seizing...there's nothing like needing to replace a part (fuel filter, brake caliper, transmission cooler, etc) but a flare nut is seized to the line, so the line twists when you try to unscrew it from the part. It also helps to use lots of anti-seize on every fastener where you can reasonably use it.