1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expensive Service Appointment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by knpc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

It was time to change the fluids in my 09 2500 with 50k miles. I didn't have the time or know how to do it myself so I brought it to the dealer. They changed the oil and filter, grease all fittings, transmission fluid exchange, and changed fluid in front and rear diffs. The total cost was $550. So did I get screwed or is that about right? How much would it cost me in fluid and filters to do it myself next time and how long would it take?

updatedtruckpics36-1111.jpg

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

not to bad . the synthetic fluids for the diffs is not cheep alone.

and most places get 100-150 now adays for tranny flush and extra for filter changed.

so drop and picked up everything at 550 is not to bad. could be better yes but atleast not to the super crazy price some would charge.

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

My truck cost-
    75 oil change
    250 tranny
    100 for the diff and transfer case

Seems right to me

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

yeah, 550 seems fair, esp if it is a diesel, If i do an synthetic oil change and filter and both fuel filters its 185 just in parts, and I do it myself, trans takes 9quarts at 6 bucks a quart, and 50 bucks in filters, and rear gear oil is not too bad, prob 20-30 in oil, depending if u need to make or get new gaskets, so my cost would have been close to $325 or so doing it myself, so yeah, 200 in labor is fair for a truck with all that done to it.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, not too bad at all. If you don't have the time and have the money to pay someone else, its worth it.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I believe that is a 6.o gasser.

I would say it is a bit costly myself but I always say that about my repair bills. I try to do what I can myself and that includes fluid changes.

Rear diff is a PIA doing on the garage floor but I have done it. You did not specify if they used synthetic or not but if you did not request it chances are they used the syn blend or basic oils I would think.

In the end tho I always tell myself I am paying for a pro just as I expect to be paid and not some backyard hack/lowballer.

7. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

It is a 6.0 gasser and they used synthetic fluid. It sems from what you guys are saying the cost was in the ballpark, which makes me feel better. In the end I think it was worth it, I got to spend the day with my wife and new baby instead of lying on a cold concrete floor all day. With all the storms we've had here in MA, they haven't seem much of me lately.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Money well spent then and is the best PM you can do for your truck.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I think that's an outrageous price.I can tell it's a 6.0 gasser.ATF exchange at only 50K miles?I could see changing the ATF in the pan,maybe the filter also, but I think the exchange is just one of those stealer induced money making gimmicks.I can see dealer cost items here costing app.$110, retail cost [only at the stealer] app. $210 so app.$340 was for labor which should have taken no more than 2 hours.

10. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I call it cheap insurance.

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree. Cheerish those moments knpc!Thumbs Up

12. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

More than I would ever spend to have those services performed but that does seem about right considering labor rates. I do have to say that is a beautiful truck though and I would love to own one just like it except maybe with a dmax instead of the gasser.

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

fyi if i recall the newer 3/4 - 1ton axles have a drain plug on the bottom of the diff . makes it faster for self drain/fill.

and the ifs diff in the front always have had a drain and fill plug.

14. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

That's nice, better than taking the whole diff cover off and doing it that way. If the newer trucks do have both I would be changing my fluids at least once a year.

15. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Money well spent. I always try to take my cars into the dealer for most services for as long as it is under warranty. Dealers look at your service history if you have a questionable warranty claim. My wifes Jeep dropped its tranny 3k miles outside of warranty and the dealer that performed every service, oil change, and tire rotation went to bat for us with Chrysler.

16. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Did they do the transfer case while at it?