1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expensive plow trip!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Boss, Jan 29, 2004.

1. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sorry guys but I need to vent.:realmad:
    I was plowing at one of my new accounts Tuesday afternoon and my blade tripped. No big deal except when the blade came back up, both of my plowlights exploded!:eek: I couldn't believe it. To make the long story short, I spent the next 2 hours buying and installing a new set from my dealer. $239.35 for 2 plowlights.:eek: And before anybody replys that I could have found a cheaper pair, I know that but I'm a picky person and I HAD to have Boss lights. I figured out that the mounting plates were cracked, probably from so many times of tripping. :waving:
  2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Say wha? Exploded? The cutting edge tripping caused this? How? I have the same blade so I am curious. :eek:
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the plow tripping, and then slamming back jarred the plow lights. This caused the lights to basically explode. A plow slammes back pretty hard. Boss, do you have a shock for your plow? Boss offers one so when your plow does trip it doesnt slam back as hard.:D :D
  4. The Boss

Yeah! They both just exploded! Plastic and bulbs went everywhere. Once again me and my dealer figured out that the little metal cups that mount in between the light bar and plastiv housing were cracked. Probably from tripping so many times. The plow is 3 years old. I always keep it clean and inspect for problems but I guess I missed those.:( :waving:
  5. The Boss

Yup, got the shock. I wasn't going very fast eaither.:nono:
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

that sucks boss. nothing scares you and pisses you off more than something like that happening. :realmad: :angry: :yow!:
  7. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm going to put some hard rubber between those cups and the light bar. A shock would be better, but that's for a later date.
  8. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

That sucks bigtime......torque the springs the whole way then it'll be hard(er) to trip;)

THIS IS ONLY A SUGGESTION AND ABOUT HALF A JOKE, please don't take it seriously, I don't want a bill for $240 coming to my house:D

9. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

LMAO, when I read the first part of Landscape80's reply, I thought, 'WTF!!!'

Good one!:waving:
  10. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I hope you aren't pi**ed anymore, and can take a little humor at this point. You have got to admit that seeing both plow lights explode after a blade trip, probably looked pretty funny to a bystander! If you had that on video, I think you would gotten the $10,000 prize! payup
  11. The Boss

Once I put the new ones on, I wasn't mad anymore.;) I was happy to have them. But I have to admit, it was pretty cool watching them bust into a thousand peices.:nod:
  12. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

wow thats gotta be scary, i guess the plow trips pretty fast
  13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I seem to replace the plow light bulbs after every storm, fricking plow tripps so damn hard
  14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

how fast were you traveling, I plow pretty slow to miniminze the damage if the plow trips, and try to avoid it tripping all together ( although I know that is usually impossible ), but I got the BOSS superduty, it has the shock, glad I have it now.
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I think a lot of the plow light damage comes from checking the engines fluids or working on it. I noticed when I am up on the bumper then go to get down or slip.I forgot the plow lights are there, Bam, I glance off the light yet again. I have the old Myer wrap around turn signal style. I see a lot with the drivers side broke on Fords, thats where all fluids (but the transmission) are located. Course, with what we pay for these lights they should be bullet proof. Like $265 for Sabers with the wire kit, PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK!
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  16. apkole

apkole Member

I had the same thing happen with one of my plow light assemblies a couple of weeks ago. Was just barely moving out of a driveway when the plow caught the pavement edge. Plow tripped, and slammed back into position. Completely busted up the plastic housing. (This is on a '99 Boss 8' straight blade) One hint the dealer gave me is to make sure the replacement lamp assemblies are plastic, as are the original equipment. If replaced with glass, the heavier weight for sure will have a higher incidence of failure. He also mentioned that those shocks do wear out over time, just like the car/truck shocks do. Might be time for replacement. Quite a few of the local contractors are adding two additional trip springs to the existing. That would be a total of 6 springs. Keeps the blade from tripping when peeling the hardpack off parking lots. A couple of contractors have welded additional steel onto the back of the blade to make them heavier for better cleaning on commercial lots.

17. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Almost as good as exploding them

Way back when I had a similar 'exploding' experience in my '72 chevy. I was fighting a charging problem for awhile (young and guessing at the time). Anyways, the voltage regulator was somehow out of the circuit. I was accelerating from an intersection and my lights got brighter and brighter till the whole neighborhood looked like I was taking a flash picture, then poof! I think I blew nearly every darn light bulb with the headlights in the truck. That was hilarious.

I think the plastic headlights on most plows, same on my fisher, are wimpy and underdesigned. Someone needs to design some real lights again. The old ones would bend or turn and you just put them back in place. The new ones are ready to snap off in your hand if you grab it by mistake. The 'engineers' need to get from behind their computers and work a little bit to understand what heavy duty is and why it is needed.
  18. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

I had a similar experience plowing my next door neighbors house. The drive is dirt with a few rocks sticking up in the middle. If she was not my neighbor the drive would cost $60, however since I am a nice an was only charging her $20 . The third time plowing it and the right side light snapped off and was hanging by the harness. Expensive lesson especially since she had not paid for the 2 previous plows:gunsfiring: . Although she now pays $40 , and finally after a couple of billings with note stating I could not plow unless I'm paid at time of service within reason , and this has been working.

Also I have 2 left side per-lux anybody have any side that they are not using?
  19. The Boss

Eyesell, I was going 5mph if that. The blade tripped, then lights went. Plastic and everything blew apart! I've got the superduty also with the shock. Like I posted above, we figured out that the mounting brackets were cracked from tripping so many times. Hopefully these new lights will last a few years like the old ones. I kept what was left of the old ones for a souvenier.:nod: :rolleyes:
  20. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

thanks again for the tip, I'm going to look closely at mine in the summer to see if there is any way of re-inforcing them. Let me know if you figure anything out. I can't believe the replacement lights cost as much as they do :mad: