1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expensive day today!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We just cant catch a break lately. Took our F350 in to have heavier springs installed, inspection etc. Keep in mind we bought this truck in March and have only put 2266 miles on it since we bought it. Yes we bought it used but it needed 3k just to pass inspection. You would never know it by looking at or driving it. I trust the guys who worked on it but holy crap! The owner of the dealership where we bought it (and where I used to work at) said they would pay half after a WTF phone conversation.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What did you have done?

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

But gosh, every Ford guy says they have the best front ends!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hee hee hee ...

5. Brian Young

Yeah well, I'm not impressed! Our other 06 F250 needed upper and lower ball joints on the left side a few moths ago at 51k and now needs the other side at 55k. I can't complain too much I guess, its had a plow on it plowing commercial lots since 2006.

6. Brian Young

Well I guess it needs just to pass inspection....right upper/lower ball joints and the other side is marginal so getting both sides done, both rear backing plates are rotted off (which I never noticed even when I was under there). AND as long as its there they are going to replace a missing axle seal cover and still do the front spring replacement, alignment and there is one other thing which I forgot and for God sakes they better at least wash it. Probably about 300 bucks in parts and the rest is labor.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

when they grease the front end, do the jack up the truck? they're suppose too....could be part of the problem....

8. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Why do you have to jack the truck up?

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I believe I read in the service manuals that to grease the upper and lower ball joints you need to jack up the front end to do them properly

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Fix Or Repair Daily

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Found On Road Dead

12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

First On Race Day..... everything breaks

13. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The Ford haters are feisty tonight... :rolleyes:

Sounds like the truck was abused. As with any truck, take care of it, and it will take care of you. Thumbs Up

14. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

My best friend is a Ford tech, with over 10 years at the local dealership. He loves the Ford front ends, they are like money in the bank for him. Anytime a diesel comes in with over 100k it's almost certain it will need ball joints and more. When you start doing a few more things like tie rod ends the bill can go up super fast. Thing thats funny is he'll do 10 hours of book time work in 1.5 hours actual time, and you get billed for all of it. (dealership makes out big on this)

Now, if you knew him, he could do all of it on his hoist at home... for a couple hundred bucks because it's all easy and quick, even if the book says it's not. So I suggest you find a good mechanic that does some moonlighting on the side, save yourself a bunch of cash.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I guess that big association group doesn't teach you to shop for a decent mechanic....

16. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Fast Over Rebuilt Dodge

Can Hear Every Valve Yell

DRIPS OIL DRIPS GAS EVERYWERE

MOPAR ABBREVIATED FOR (MORE PARTS)

STOP MAKING FUN OF US FORD GUYS .:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

17. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have an 06' F-350 with 118,000 miles & still has original front end parts. This truck has plowed since it was new. the dealership that I go to said that thetruck needed ball joints with 25,000 on it. I took it to my buddies alignment shop & he started laughing at Ford. I have gotten an extra 93,000 & the tires still wear even. I will change everything out before we go into winter just for maintenance purposes.

18. Brian Young

Wow thats almost unheard of.

19. Brian Young

IDK, I hate buying used equipment but this thing looks and runs like new and with only 82,266 miles on it who would have thought. I only took it back to the dealer where I bought it because they always treated me right and I figured if anything like this happen they can do something for me, which they did. As far as taking care of things...I baby our other truck and it needs basically the same thing with ball joints. Some of it is my fault I guess. This dealership has two locations, I used to work at the one in town and we went over every vehicle before it went on the lot, I thought being the same dealership, they would go by the same standards thats why I never had it put on a rack. Buyer be ware!

20. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Not really, my 01 with 138k on it has all original ball joints, and my 05 with 120k on it has only had the drivers side lower replaced, the other 3 are original. The 03 dually has had all of them replaced according to service records from before I bought it, whether it actually needed all of them, who knows. The other 01 PSD with almost 200k on it has had them all replaced plus a bearing on the passenger side within the last 30k.

As with anything, people tend to gripe about the bad, but never post what a great truck they have when things DON'T break...