1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expansion Plug is leaking!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Nov 28, 2010.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

With the expansion plug in the 3 way (raise lower) valve leaking constantly, does this point to another bigger problem? or is the plug simply leaking,

all the troubleshooting manual says is to put a new one in with some special punch, if its poped out or leaking,

How do i get it out to replace it?

thanks

2. birddseedd

Western conventional (cable) pump.

3. Breesegabe

Breesegabe Junior Member
    from Portage

Expansion plug.

Did you ever get any answers on this? I bought a used plow this summer and just got it all hooked up & working. The problem is that when I lower it fluid comes out from behind the three way valve cover. There is a hole to the left which I believe is the 14" expansion plug (not there) There is a piece of something in there, I was going to try an easy out te see if I could unthread it? Hoping you could help!!!

4. birddseedd

goto westerns website and get a diagram of your pump so you know what you're looking at .if it is the 1 quarter inch expansion plug. then you get out with an owl ,or a small punch .tap the very edge of it and it will spin around .then pull it out with needle nose pliers .if it is the expansion plugs and it's not leaking I wouldn't worry about it however if it is leaking you want to replace it .it is a standard 1 quarter inch expansion plug you can get from any industrial supply store .

I would avoid using an easy out since that involves drilling a hole and leaving metal shavings in your pump and valve .

5. Breesegabe

Breesegabe Junior Member
    from Portage

Maybe I didn't provide enough details... What I can see is a 1/4" hole and about 1/8" inside that hole is what appears to be the remnants is the old plug. There is no way for me to get to it. Do you think I could just leave the last little bit of that sleeve in there and then install the new expansion plug? Or do you think I would be better off using an easy out to extract what is left? No drilling required since what is in there has a hole in it already? Its O.D. in the hole in the pump 1/4" the I.D. of whatever it is in the hole is 1/8". If it wasn't so small I would try to post a picture but that wont work... Thanks for any more input birddseedd!

6. birddseedd

if it has a hole in it then it blew out at some point and yes you can use it easy out otherwise I would use a small awl to turn it and pull out with needle noes pliers.

7. birddseedd

oh. and do not leave the old one in. thats askin for trouble. and the new one shhoupd be level with the hole it goes in.

8. birddseedd

you ever get this done? how did it go.

got around to doing mine this year. turns out the hole on mine uas degraded and a new plug wont fit. im in for not alot of fun fixin it.

9. Breesegabe

Breesegabe Junior Member
    from Portage

Yup, turns out what I thought was inside the hole was the seat for the plug. I bought 3 of them for less than $3/apiece. Tapped one in and it has been fine since. Thanks so much for the advice!wesport

10. birddseedd

ya, i saw that when i finaly got around to changing mine when i tried to rotate it, i simply poked a hole in it with the owl. screw got it out from there.

thats when it got a lil harder for me. the metal around the plug has deterorated. and teh new plug wont fit.

so ill have to drill it out to a bigger size and but a bigger plug in it. or ill have to tap it and put a threaded plug in it.i am told this hole is not a failsafe, but jsut where they poured the sand out after molding. i would like to find a way to confirm that before doign something drastic like threading a perminate plug.