1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expanding

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Harvestman, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman Junior Member

I have decided to expand my lawn business to include plowing & salting. Ive got a f-250 and i'm waiting for a boss v-plow to come in. Ive got to opportunity to bid on a couple of Mcdonalds I feel very insecure in giving a bid. They are your normal mcs. a drive thru and minimal parking about 3/4 of an acre. I was thinking of a per push price with a trigger of 2''. And a price for salting per event. What do you guys think is a fair price for my part of the country (southern ohio),or how can I find out the going rates. Thank you Harvestman.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think a fair price for a McD's would be in the 75.00-100.00 per 2" and salting at 75-90% of those rates. Also change the trigger to 1/2" with salting speced below a 1/2"
    Dino

3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have measured McDonald's lots that are over two acres and more obstacles than you would think an architect could design.
    There are several McDonald's restaurants in my town, all of them would be bid quite differently.

Try to estimate how long it will take you and charge what your market bears. People will tell you every number under the sun. If I were in your market I'd bid it at $100-$150 per hour, depending on the level of service you are able to provide.

A one acre lot with no obstacles may take me 45 minutes to plow. Another 60,000 square foot lot with a few obstacles takes about 1.25 hours. Both times are at 1"-2" accumulations. You may have to fumble through a few (maybe several) of these before you start seeing with any clarity what works for you.

Good luck and don't give up if your first prospect doesn't pan out. Of course, I'd bet you know this all to well from your green season biz!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2001
  4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Harvestman,
    You have to be careful asking a question like that on a forum like this.... snow is very regionalized. What Dino gets in CT for a Mickey D's would do 3 of the same sites in N. E. Ohio, N.W. PA. And, you couldn't touch a Mickey D's in Washington, DC for what Dino's charging in CT. This doesn't mean that Dino's numbers are good or bad, just that they may not work in your market. I'm not, in any way putting down the answer Dino gave, as I respect his business acumen in his area, and I know he is knowledgable about what happens in his market.

You might want to go to a large plowing contractor in your area and tell him straight up what you are trying to do. A good contractor will guide you so that you don't inavertantly undercut the market with your inexperience in pricing. If you're uncomfortable with that, you'll have to find some way to ascertain what the going rates are in your market area for plowing.

Unless you get someone near your market (on line here) to give you pricing advice.

5. Harvestman

Harvestman Junior Member

Any body out there in the Dayton-Cincinniti corridor That can help I would be very greatfull Thanks Harvestman.

6. plowking35

from SE CT

Very good points John.
    However I do remember you using those numbers in respect to a Micky D's lot.
    But John is right, snow is very regionalised.
    Dino

7. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

my wife manages a mcd`s in ne ohio they`re paying $85 an hour but again thats the snow belt in ne ohio too so prices may very where youre at...good luck...rich

8. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

my wife manages a mcd`s in ne ohio they`re paying $85 an hour but again thats the snow belt in ne ohio too so prices may very where youre at...it takes 2-3 trucks 3-4 hours to do this particular site...theyve had bids as low as $65 an hour but are happy with the job the cuirrent contracter is doing....so good luck...rich

9. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Blaze, just curious as to how big this Mickey D's is. 2 trucks at 3 hrs per storm sounds like its HUGE!! In this area the square footage is usually 10k per lot (at most) for Mickey D's and it usually takes one truck about an hour to plow a few inches of snow.

10. plowking35

from SE CT

All the Mickey D's in my area can be done in an 1/2 hour at most in a 0-4" storm, and an hour for anything more than that. I am thinking closer to 10K sq ft at most.
    Dino

11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Wow! Ten thousand sf??? That is tiny. We don't have one that small out of ten or so local McD stores.

12. JD PLOWER

Sno, thats life in the city, lands too expensive, even for Macdonalds.

13. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have been out of the cornfield once in my lifetime and from what I remember of it, there were no McD's that small. :)

I have lived in the vicinity of some of the fastest growing population centers of our country. Land in these areas is at a premium, as well. If I were a betting man, I'd bet most of us would be hard pressed to find a 10M sf McD's in our local markets if we were to measure. I've been wrong before, though.

If they are measured with a measuring wheel, I'll believe it. A guess is just that, a guess. I have measured and estimated more work than I care to remember... probably more than most people in business twice as long as I have been. However, I have no magical ability to figure square footage at a glance. Once in a while I will be close, but then there are those properties where my guesses are way off.

Otherwise, I would skip using the wheel and save my energy by giving estimates from behind the wheel of the truck as I passed through the lots.

14. JD PLOWER

Sno, that was (as you may have guessed ) an estimate . I too have used the "wheel of knowledge" as one site surveyor I knew called it, but on a job that size you really shouldn't need it . BTW just to clear up any misunderstanding this for the parking area and not plot size. But if you want more I'll breakout the tripod and shoot some elevations for ya :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2001
  15. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

They won't pay to have the lawn plowed in your market??? Wow! No wonder I'm doing so well here in IL! :D

I like the name "wheel of knowledge." I cannot think of a more valuable tool I have in my arsenal that costs so little. Of course, you won't convince the guys who are dead set against them. :confused:

I justified use of the wheel from the start like this; I get paid, X an hour and I can spend two hours (green season) wages to quantify what I am plowing, mowing, seeding, sodding, etc??? Even measuring and using production figures never tells exactly how long it will take to perform a given service. However, as you have expressed yourself, it sure helps to have a baseline to work from. ;)