1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expanding to tractor/blower setup anyone???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SGSLandscaping, Dec 17, 2009.

1. SGSLandscaping

SGSLandscaping Junior Member

Hey all, newbie to the site here.

This will be my 2nd year plowing and I'm looking to expand into a tractor/blower setup rather than truck/plow. My area has a lot of fancy landscaping so there isn't much place to plow.

Does anyone run tractors? If so, apart from the typical JD, New Holland, Kubota, Massey and Case, what other tractors would you recommend or not recommend? I've seen a lot of Zetor's, Landini's, and a few other 90's models around, but I have no idea which would be the better deal.

Any suggestions? tymusic

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Just get the deere and be done with it :drinkup:

I seen your thread on another site, good luck finding anything decent for under 20K

3. SGSLandscaping

Wanna give me some money...... there's a reason why I'm not looking at Deere's...Nothing under $30k here..

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

May want to look into a Bobcat skid or Toolcat.

5. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

I've always had good luck with kubota. I think I would base my choice on which company will give the best after sale support in your area. Parts, service and so on. Makes a big difference in a pinch.

6. SGSLandscaping

Kubota's certainly are good.

As for aftersales, I'm not looking new since it owuld cost near $80k for the tractor I need. I'm looking for a 75hp + to run a 60-72" blower. Plus it needs to have a 40km/h transfer case so it doesn't take forever to get around.

7. SGSLandscaping

It's illegal here to drive a skidsteer around the roads. This would be for residential contracts so it's gotta be quick and be able to run the blower off PTO.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

maby you should look at somthing a little bit smaller, you dont need 75 hp to run a 60" blower... a 40 hp machine will do that just fine... but anything below 75hp isnt gonna do 40km/h tho...

9. SGSLandscaping

Precisely. I have a 35km run for contracts.. so already at 40kph it's minimum 1 hour drive time.

I have a 40hp now and it's not fast enough.

10. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

Maybe ask around your area for what dealer does the best with after sales support and then shop around for what they carry supplies for. I don't know if they cover your area but Fastline.com sells a lot of everything. They are kinda like auto trader.

11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

It would be wise to get as much hp to run an inverted blower.

12. SGSLandscaping

Exactly. And since they're made here it's easy and cheap to find one.

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Then why are you asking us?

we all run plows and loaders for the most part here in the states, the only ones who can truely answer you question is your fellow canadians on this site like neige and a few other.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's asking about tractors not blowers.

15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

oh i see it now, sorry running on 1 hour sleep in two days.

16. SGSLandscaping

Hey... happens... :sleeping:

17. Naudi2u

Naudi2u Member

How about one of the truck mounted blowers?

Look here

18. SGSLandscaping

Too much weight on the trucks front end, plus it's fine for blowing while driving forward but an inverted one is much more efficient.

I don't think you can get that close to garage doors, cars or homes driving towards them with a blower as it's VERY easy to damage something on the property.

A tractor is much more efficient.

19. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We've been tossing a skid steer in the trunk of a pick-up for 15 years, skid steer with a blower for 5 years. Does good detailing work. only skid steer with a road speed of 100 kpm:nod:

20. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Great ballast!

what about a second smaller tractor and split up the route?