1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expanding Rear Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jon Geer, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Here is one version of an expanding plow that one of my local manufactures sell to me.

See what you think.

2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Another look

3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Color close up

4. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

And another.

5. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

What application do you use this unit for?

6. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

jon

I have never used a rear blade so I may be asking a dumb question but is there a need for an expanding rear blade? The design looks gook though

Last edited: Jan 19, 2003
  7. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Application

The rear plow you see here is on a 2001 Ford F250 Reg. cab.

You can put these plows on 1/2 tons all the way up to 1 1/2 ton trucks. It's all up to the customer.

Rear plows save time from back dragging. Back in, pull out, push up to the curb with the front plow.

Saves a sh*% LOAD OF TIME.

If you don't have a rear plow in West Michigan, stay home. People here like to save time and work less to make the big dollar.

Just my opinion.

8. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

One more thing

Blizzard made there plows to expand for a reason.

"TO SAVE TIME"!!!!!!

9. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

I don't have a need for one I realize they save a ton of time thats great I was just curious about the expandng blade. Im a HUGE Blizzard supporter I have 2 myself

Last edited: Jan 19, 2003
  10. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Looks pretty good, I would go for it if I were into rear plows.

11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Sure looks puuuuuurdy.

12. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I like them I have seen a few driving around. My only concern is you increase the width but decrease the holding capacity of the back blade. I just went ahead and put larger sides on my back blade so I can haul more of this fluff we get.

1.jpg

13. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Todd-

You've been saving that pile all winter for that picture, haven't you !!!

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Jon, did you get permission from the truck owner to use that picture? lol

Actually its on a 2000 F350 super cab.

GreenQuest, how do you decrease the carrying capacity? You are just clearing a wider area. Besides, if you are filling up the back plow, there's a good chance you are only going to be using part of the front plow to plow with so you aren't leaving trails.

It works OK for us, I'm not sure if we would setup another truck like it, though. I'm not sure the time savings justify the expense.

15. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Tom,

Actually that was from last year, Heck I havent filled that back blade up with this little bit of snow we have had this year.

Mark,

I just thought that when you extend them wings you have basically made a straight blade on the back. I use mine mostly for hauling snow , say if they want snow in a certain area, And dont get me wrong I have never seen one used so I am just assuming this cause of what I see. Unless its a heavy snow I can do the full length of the loading docks without any snow leaking out of the back blade.

How much more is the cost over a standard back blade?

What would be the cost if you tweaked a wing?

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Todd, the wings only go out about 45 degrees. They are more for carrying then actual cleaning. The plow shwon above goes out to 10' from 7 1/2'. They are nice so you don't have to get close to a wall or something like that with the truck.

The cost all depends on how bad it is tweaked. Both of our wings have been bent, they have been able to be repaired. I don't remember the amount, but it was under $100 each time. But that cuts into profit every time, not to mention having to bring the truck there, pick it up, etc, etc.