1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

expanding business

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by DCJ inc., Sep 29, 2008.

1. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

ok, ive been in business for about 3 years, Ive been having trouble finding new and creative ways to expand my business. We do construction and plowing in the winter. does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom.?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

sales work

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice is always "Start small; Grow slow" Resist the temptation to try doubling/tripling your business. Draw up a written plan with realistic growth goals and how you're going to make those goals to include equipment purchases and hiring employees or subs . You might vary from it some, but if it's a realistic plan to begin with, it'll help you avoid a lot of traps. Of course, keep vehicle purchases to dual-use as much as possible. Could you sub out larger construction equipment (loader, dumps) to bigger snow removal companies before tsking on (more) major contracts yourself?

There have been several guys who USED to be around here whose company went under because they tried to grow too big - too fast. Some were pretty heavy hitters.

4. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

In this current economy just be glad your paying your bills and keeping in the black. I would not push to hard to grow right now. I have been at it full time now for about a year (before that I mostly did it on the side) and I have done a good amount of work this year, and I still have more to last me another month of outdoor work before I start on indoor jobs. Word of mouth is your best tool to finding more work.

If you are looking for more to do and have the capital start looking for cheep houses to fix up. This is not a flippers market but if you have the money to buy, fix and sit on them for a few years you can be profitable. Rent them in the mean time, people need places to live since a lot of them are loosing there homes.

Whatever you do, don't move to Cleveland. This market is mine, haha.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, just because your big it also doesn't mean you make more money. Think smart and then grow smart. Slow and steady wins the race.:drinkup:

6. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

that part about renting houses sounds really fermiliar. lol where are you at in the cleveland area? do you ride a motorcycle?

7. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

stay small and keep it all. the bigger you grow the bigger your bills grow