1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expanding Business and Upgrading Equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captainjake77, Nov 25, 2005.

1. captainjake77

captainjake77 Junior Member

I have outgrown my current operation and plan on purchasing a plow for my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500. It is extended cab, long bed, and has the 24V Cummins Diesel. My front axle is rated at 4850lbs and the Western dealer says there is no way I can install either of their V plows and ever get them off of the ground. I have been very pleased with the performance of my truck since I bought it and can't believe this is true?!?! Are they just covering themselves from any possible liability, or will I really have a problem. According to them, my truck can only handle a plow weight of 550lbs and the Western V's are over 700lbs. Any input is greatly appreciated. I am in northwestern Ohio, NOT in the snow belt so I won't be using this unit as heavily as most of you. We probably only plow ten snowfalls a year, and most are under eight inches. Thank you in advance for any ideas/advice.
  2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

A quick seach would yield results that would express peoples opinions on mounting heavier plows to diesel vehicles. Most you would find have put big heavy plows on their deisel trucks and are doing just fine. The dealer is saying this for liability as you would be over your weight ratings but people here run large plows on there diesels with no problems. My suggestion find a different dealer that will do what YOU want.
  3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I think a lot of people will probably tell you to go ahead and put it on, but don't drive around with the plow mounted just to be cool, leave the plow unhooked unless you are using it to plow..... besides front end parts are pricey and while the diesel front ends are beefier, they're also pretty expensive to replace parts on and i'd be leaving the plow off unless you have to have it on to use.

but thats just my 2 cents. good luck! Gotta love a Cummins! Mine's awesome! :waving: :drinkup: :cool:
  4. captainjake77

Thanks for the info guys. That is the same info I got from some veteran plowers around here. I'm going to prematurely wear out my front end anyway, so the additional weight isn't a BIG deal. With the new mounting system on the Western units I won't have to leave the plow on the truck at all, they are so easy and fast to take on and off. Does anyone else have any concerns or issues I should be considering?
    Good Luck This Winter!
  5. SnowUnlimited

SnowUnlimited Junior Member

Ran into this problem couple of years ago.Guy who wanted to plow for me.Had 1998 Dodge diesel and westen dealer would not install a plow on the truck unless he signed a waiver from Western.Said it was Westerns policy for Dodge diesels,due to premature wear on front end parts.I had never heard of this before,Ive been plowing since 1970.Result was he never bought a plow.
    Have a great season guys and be safe.
  6. captainjake77

From the research I have completed thus far the Western 8.5' MVP weighs in around 720lbs and the 9.5' is less than 100 pounds more. I think I will go ahead and install the larger blade since I'm not plowing daily, and our snowfalls aren't excessive - most are two to six inches. My profitability will come with being able to finish jobs fast. With our typical light snowfalls I shouldn't be straining the truck (front end especially) if I only have the plow on the truck when it's absolutely necessary. I am probably going to purchase the plow from a place in central Illinois that I found on eBay. They sell and install Western equipment much less expensive than anywhere around here in Ohio. Hopefully I can convince them to install what I want and not what Western "dictates" to relieve them of liability. Some phone calls on Monday will help me find out.
  7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

It has nothing to do with wearing out the front end, it comes down to the fact that you could possibly have 6 people in your truck while you have the plow on and that would exceed the front end rating. In the real world we know the chances of that happening are pretty slim. I've installed several v's on trucks like yours and advised the cust of why we're not supposed to install the plow on his truck, they usually laugh and say something like " i barely have room for a passenger let alone 5 more with all my work stuff in my truck". If the dealer wont install the plow, buy it cash an carry and install it yourself.
  8. captainjake77

Thanks Crash, sounds like a plan. Has anyone else noticed that business selling plows on eBay that is REALLY inexpensive? I guess they are in Illinois, and for the price savings it's worth the drive for me.
  9. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I would install the V plow like you want and get a set of Timbrens... They worked wonders on my '03 excursion i had with a diesel motor...
  10. captainjake77

I have noticed other people talking about Timbrens. What exactly are they and what do they do?
  11. captainjake77

I am just bumping this to the top hoping someone will explain Timbrens.
    Thanks for answering my dumb questions....
  12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

A Timbren is basically a rubber spring for a truck that is installed either between the frame and the axle or the frame and leaf spring. It is very flexible, but is strong as hell and supports the added weight of the plow, while barely sacrificing ride quality. You can read more on their website.
  13. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

I have two 9'2" Boss V-plows both on dodge Diesels. I have no probles at all. one is a 95 and the other is an 05 barley even squats it. I would def go with with the 9.5 my self.
  14. captainjake77

Thanks for the info guys. I have been on their website and see which ones I need for the truck. Are they expensive? Difficult to install? I will call them tomorrow for info. I take it I order straight from Timbren?
    Good Luck with this storm coming through the Great Lakes and Midwest tomorrow.