1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Expandable plow on AG tractor

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by ry_rock, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I know this may not be the right section and I plan to post in the heavy equipment forum too.

My question mounting an expandable wing plow to an AG tractor and using the loader arms.

I know the loader arms on an AG tractor are not as strong as wheel loader arms. I know it can be mounted to the AG tractor loader arms, and it depends on drivers and lots etc, but am I likely going to have more issues than benefits from doing this?

Should I only consider a sub frame mount? or consider just going with a wheel loader.

I appreciate any input.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Some have push boxes on them, what kind of machine

3. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Looking at the Kubota M100GX
    I know I can put a straight pusher box on with not many issues, but I am looking to go with something like an HLA snow wing

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've never bent a farm loader with a pusher on them but we've bent them with large power angle blades. Another disadvantage is trying to keep the loader the right height with a wing plow so the blade scrapes right and doesn't wear funny. A direct mount blade is also much quicker to plow with then a loader mount. Also all farm loaders aren't created equal. There are lots of guys running 10-16 Snowings on loaders that havn't had any problems on Deere and Aloe loaders also but I wouldn't want an aggressive driver I'd want a good operator.

5. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

I am looking for a machine that will plow, stack and have the ability to load trucks when removal is needed. I wanted to go with a tractor set up, but seems like it may not be the best option

6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i would stick with a med size wheel loader. If an ag tractor was the best way to go everyone would do it. There is a reason that everyone mostly uses loaders, and that is for durability, versatility, safety, power, and stacking height.

7. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. With my research this what I have been thinking. I don't have a use for a wheel loader in the summer yet, and a tractor is cheaper and I can find work for it in the summer, but no sense in getting the wrong piece of equipment.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good make and model of wheel loader??

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

A lot of people are moving to tractors

I guess you can't leave a 3pt hitch on with the loAder on?

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

A Cat 924 sized will 14/16ft box.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you'll be fine.

11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

You have been given some sound advice so far, let me explain further.
    The loader arms on an Ag tractor are built for pushing straight. Because the arms can be mounted and removed from the tractor it is impossible for them to be as strong as a loader or backhoe. The weakness is when there is sideward pressure. So if you want to windrow you are putting sideways pressure on the arms which is not good. Even with a box pusher should you catch an edge at an angle there will be a good chance you will bend the arms. That is why it’s highly recommended you go with a sub frame mount when you want to windrow with a plow. The good news is that with a metal Pless the lift mechanism will not interfere with the loader arms. You can leave the sub frame on, attach your loader arms and then load trucks with the loader.

12. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Paul,

Thanks so much for the reply, you sure are a wealth of information. I have been looking at the metal pless products!!
    Would say a Kubota M100GX set up like you said with the metal pless sub mount and expandable pusher, with the pusher removed, sub frame left on the tractor and loader arms on be able to load a tandem or tri axle dump truck with snow? This would be the best of both worlds for me, otherwise I have been leaning towards renting a wheel loader to push with and then have to load, but if the AG tractor will work I can justify a purchase for that set up

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Yes that will work with a Metal Pless plow.

14. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Really really old tractors maybe, otherwise I have a 10' blower on one and either a 10' box blade or counter weight on the other 3 point

15. thatstherule

thatstherule Junior Member
    from Waukee

If you are looking for an HLA, I have three for sale. 2 - SB3200W914 and 1 - SB4200W1218.

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Interesting may I ask why you are selling them?