1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhausted, but loving it!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jason2, Dec 15, 2000.

1. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

I've gotten a total of 6 hours of sleep since Wednesday. Slept for 2 hours Wed night, got the call to plow. On my last lot I shredded the fan belt. It was still sort of in one piece, so I tightened it as far as I could. Shut down my beacon, lights, heater, radio. Watched the voltmeter and ammeter, and temp gauge. Finished the lot, with a thin strand of what was once a belt. Alternator pulley was barely turning.

Then began my search for a belt at 5:00 am. Drove around for half an hour before belt got to the point that it was totally useless. Finally limped my way to a auto parts store, with temp climbing rapidly, and a very weak battery.

Caught an hour nap in the truck, but woke up because I was freezing. Had to wait another hour and a half until the store opened. Slipped on a new belt, and slipped a new spare into the toolbox, battery surprisingly had just enough juice to get me fired up. Drove to my full time job and put in a full day.

Slept for a few hours last night and lo and behold the phone rings and we have another 5 inches. SO off to plow again. Back to work again today, and snow is forecast again for late tonight and tomorrow!

Gotta love the money. And my old big-block,shortbox Dodge is a wonder in tight spots. I'm itching to quit my day job, and pray for snow!