1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JohnnyU, Nov 27, 2002.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It may sound stupid, but im wondering why my truck's exhaust steams after it is warmed up? Most cars/trucks i see dont do it anymore once they are up to temp, is it a big problem or something that is just an annoyance? just curious if it had any neg affects, thanks!:confused:

2. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

exhaust steam

Steam from the exhaust could indicate coolant leaking into the combustion chamber, has the engine been overheated? It could be caused by a bad intake or head gasket or worse a cracked head. Have your cooling system pressure tested, if it wont hold pressure you may be looking at some engine work to fix it.:(

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

thats what i was afraid of, it hasnt been overheated as far as i know, but come to think of it i did notice a little coolant that looked like it was leaking from teh intake gasket on the head.... well its going to have to wait till spring now, i hope....Thanks for the info and clarification.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

While your at it, pull the engine oil stick out and take a look at the motor oil. See if it looks like it has moisture in it at all. Take off the oil filler cap and see if there is any milky residue building up in either the valve cover or inside the middle of the oil cap. Keep an eye on coolant level and engine oil level. If the antifreeze is getting into the motor oil, the coolant level will go down, and the motor oil level will go up and turn the motor oil a milky brown color. Not a pretty sight. Like someone sad above, get a pressure test done and see what they come up with. Whatever you do, dont run the motor hot, thats very bad for engine life. One other thing, if you have a little steam come out the tailpipe, i think its normal even warmed up, i mean very little. If you are experiencing a CLOUD of steam behind you when you drive, then there is a problem. Actually a cloud of ANY color means there is a problem, whether is be, black, blue, or white stem. Mike

Last edited: Nov 30, 2002
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The oil is fine, so is the coolant, thats whats had me puzzled, i mean if im not losing any from either place, and im not mixing at all, whats left? it did it last year too, changed oil twice and its always just oil, and the coolant is staying constant, flushed it to look for oil, nothing. Im now wondering if its a sensor, or something that would let the engine cool off too much when at idle, like the combustions are not hot enough, it does sometimes have a semi-rough idle, only sometimes tho, not all the time, wierd :confused: ..... im this || close to pulling all tbi stuff and doing a tpi or vortec swap.........:D

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

if it aint broke don't fix it

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Its not seemingly broken so i haven't really been worried about it, till my uncle took his 1990 in and somehow it had etched a channel between two cylinders, causing it to run like this, but with severe misfireing and terrible fuel consuption, so i was just worried thatit really was broke! and looking to see if anyone had had a similar experience.

8. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

My old truck would do it after plowing slow speeds for awhile. Under low throtle not much exhaust presure so the condensation may be building up in the exhaust. I wouldn't worry about it.

9. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

I had the same symptoms on my 76 K-20 after I bought it, didn't have coolant in the oil and it was not losing large amounts of coolant, but the cooling system would not hold pressure like it should. When the engine is warmed up the upper radiator hose should be firm from the pressure building in the cooling system, my truck would not build up any pressure so I tried everything I could think of, new radiator cap, checked all the hoses even replaced the heater core. I could not find any external leaks so I pulled the clyinder heads and took them to the machine shop, the shop called a couple of days later with the bad news, both heads were cracked. He built me a couple of heads for $350.00 and it has been working fine ever since. One way to check for a blown head gasket is a compression test, sometimes the gasket will leak in between two clyinders and let coolant in also, if you see low compression on two clyinders next to each other it could be a blown head gasket, it is a good idea to have your heads checked at a machine shop if you have them removed.
    Good Luck.:drinkup: