1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust ???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jay77, May 22, 2005.

1. jay77

jay77 Junior Member

ive got a 04 f250 w/ 5.4 i had a flowmaster put on it and it sounded good but really wasnt as loud as i wanted it so i took the whole exhaust off from the cat. back to get the sound i wanted my ??? is can any harm be done to the engine due to running no muffler?? my friend who owns the muffler shop that installed the flowmaster said that the cat. is so big that it should create enough back pressure that it wont hurt it any and also said that if the check engine light comes on or if it runs like sh!t to put the muff back on but so far so good just wanted to hear from you guys if no muff is a bad idea ? thanks
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

No mufflers tend to attract cars with blue and red lights on the top.
    You can get away with it for a while but sooner or later you will run across a cop that will ticket you. In a big city they ignore loud vehicles, but the burb cop's have nothing better to do!
  3. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I don't have any cats or mufflers on my 97 (460) or 99 (PSD). The reason that I don't run them on the 97 is because I also use that truck for competition truck pulling in stock and super stock classes, so is a performance issue. With the 99 I really like the sound of the turbo spooling up and down (the early 99's like mine have a different turbo than the 99.5-03 7.3L and sound different as well), but is also isn't a plow truck we just use it for sanding parking lots. Its a lot more about personal preference and also what the local police have to say about it.