1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust with plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by killed300ex, May 2, 2005.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

wondering if any of you run modified exhausts on your plow trucks. I want to put one on my truck but am worried about making my customers mad when i plow them out in the middle of the night. Wondering if any of you have had any problems with that or have any suggestions on how to deal with it?
    Thanks
    Evan

2. caz41

caz41 Member

Mine is pretty loud, and have never had any complaints yet...

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

we modify the exhaust on all of our trucks but becuase we do apartment complexs all of our trucks have mufflers same with anyone who works for us our main goal with modifying them is to get the pipe out of the way of anything while backing up. two years ago i was backing up at a bank and there was a large rock on a island that i didn't see and it kinked the exhaust and shoved it into the gas tank put a heck of a dent but thank fully didnt rupture. sence then i have the muffler shop cut all of our exhausts off infront of the rear axle and put a straight turn down on them they are a little deeper sounding but still quite enough. i have also noticed on my 04 before thepipe was cut off it that when backing threw the snow all the steam would role off the tale pipe and fog up the view out the passengerside .

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I drive a diesel, it's noisy enough stock.
    Actually I will be replacing the exhaust this summer with a custom 4 inch with most likely 2 mufflers to keep the noise down closer to stock. All the performance exhaust systems think we want our small trucks to sound like Semi's... :realmad:

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

a blade slamming and grating on the ground isnt exactly quiet.

Your customer base will be the deciding factor and only you know the answer to that. I do larger comercial. 5" out the back with no muffler. Its not exactly queit but my customer base done care.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

300..............IMO..........A quiet exaust is your best bet !
    There are several quiet low restriction systems out there.

Esp. plowing residential..............They complain enough.. let
    alone rattling their windows at 4am. with loud mufflers.

Heck, nowadaze the quiet factor is important so no hassles
    with the cops.............................

I had those noisy exaust systems years ago on my hot rods
    and trucks...........Must be getting old.............No more !

My old GTO.........I took off the headers and such some years
    back and put the stock goodies on it...................geo

7. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

thanks for the input i think i am going to go with a semi quite exhaust. i dont think they will mind that much. I guess only time will tell though.
    Evan

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My truck runs headers with full dual exhaust... dual cats and a cross-over pipe help a bunch too. The mufflers are cheapie turbo (like a Thrush clone). The truck has just enough rumble to be pleasing, but with a gentle foot on the throttle it stays quite reasonably quiet. Actually its not much louder than stock, just deeper.

The Bomb Part II on the other hand, came with headers, dual Cherry Bomb glasspacks, and megaphone exhaust tips. For a hot rod truck it would sound pretty cool, but for a plow truck I feel it is obnoxiously loud and customers will complain. Idle isn't bad but the slightest amount of throttle.....

People think the NHRA has come to town--and it doesn't look professional.

Even if all you plow is commercial work--you still have to DRIVE to get there and back, so if you are annoying the people on the way it may get you a bad rep, or barring that it may keep people from calling you from the magnetic signs on the side of the truck if they don't like it...

I feel a work truck should be as quiet as possible. Let the job happen like it was done by a ghost... Just IMO.

9. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I have headers with dual exhaust and turbo mufflers. sounds good

10. danno

danno Senior Member

Another suggestion on keeping it quiet is to "hear" while plowing. I just have a few driveways, but it seems like a good idea with many accounts to listen somewhat to what the blade might be pushing.

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have done flowmasters on my last two plow trucks. I personally like my customers to know I'm there when they were in bed. :sleeping: It makes them feel like there paying for somthing! take it from me strait out the back looks real nice but I fill the pipes with snow many times when backing into a snow bank. One side will blow out and the other takes a broom pole to clean out. I re-directed them out the side with Danali tips that are stainless (they will rust if you use steel) and it looked nice and they keep clean. The noise with a extra bend was a little quiter though.