1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust Systems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by beherit316, Sep 11, 2003.

1. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I was curious to the legend of upgrading an exhaust to a Flow master's system, do you really gain increase in HP?????I am getting my Exhaust done up this coming Tuesday. they are gonna put a Flow master's system on my truck for around $400.00.The guy said I should notice a difference.I find it hard to believe it, but I guess I will find out for myself.
    Anyone here upgraded the exhaust on their Ford?Also what is the best way to upgrade my air intake without breaking the bank? And again will I really feel a difference in HP?

Oh , I will be doing a Cat Back system on ,my truck.Was told if I change the headers I will most likely have to get noew ones every couple of years because after market headers dont hold up like stock do.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Aftermarket headers and plow trucks do not get along well unless you go stainless.They will rot out real quick.Most aftermarket headers are geared towards high RPM flow to make mor horsepower,which can kill low rpm cylinder scavenging,and bottom end torque.

You could get a set of used stock 5.0 mustang headers,as they are stainless,and have a dual system built off of that.Use dual cats,and a small crossover pipe somewhere in the middle.

Shop around for Flowmaster knockoffs.They are exactly the same,but you don't pay the high price for the Flowmaster name.

As far as the air intake,do you have a single or dual air intake hose at the airbox ? If it's a single,then you can just get a performance cone style filter to fit the tube,and make a mounting brackets and heatshield.If it's the dual type,then you'll have to look into a replacement air intake system like a K&N FIPK or something similar.
  3. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i did my exaust didnt notice a darn thing loader thats for sure better gas milage not really good luck
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Todays vehicle with honeycomb style cats,and small exhaust manifolds are very quiet.The cats reduce the noise quite a bit.Even changing the exhaust doesn't give them that loud rumble a lot of people are looking for.Using a 2 chamber,instead of a 3 chamber flowmaster style muffler(s) will make it a little louder.
  5. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Got that exhaust system installed today.I can maybe feel a little more punch in the HP but not much.Wasn't as loud as I thought it would be, seems a tad louder then my Mustang.I kept the old exhaust system in case if I needed it for some reason, you ask me it's just gonna take up more room in the garage.

Had the Flowmaster installed at a popular muffler place, they gave me a lifetime warranty, I always see their commercials and you probably too.Didn't want to mention the name because I think Chuck Smith's new rule forbids me to do it.So use your imagination.You're not gonna pay alot, but you'll get alot.

I requested to have stainless steel tips put on, but I have this strange feeling they slipped me with chrome, I don't know, I cant tell.Stainless last longer then chrome thats is for sure.Anyway it looks real good and powerful and I have it exiting the rear sticking out about 1/2 inch from the bumper.

Just built me a new F-350 Lariat online, gonna have to wait a month or maybe more.Looking forward to dumping $$$ into that.I will still keep the F-250 and continue using it as a work truck but I'll evidentially break in the new one, maybe..LOL