1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by peteo1, Feb 23, 2015.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

My 03 ram needs a new catalytic converter. Been looking online for parts pricing and other information and I've seen where some converters are Ca/Ny compliant and others are not. Granted the compliant ones are far more expensive and if I can go the cheaper route I'd prefer to. Question is if I put a non compliant cat on my truck is it going to have any effect on performance or no? Since I live in Pa I'm not too worried about Ca/Ny emissions and I sure as heck don't want to spend almost twice as much for something I really don't have to have. Any ideas?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why not just delete it?
    Or get the cheep one.
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Put on the non CA one - it will be fine.
  4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

does your state or area have an emissions testing. If so and your truck has to be inspected the put the correct one on the truck. If not then do whatever is cheaper
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes we have emissions testing here unfortunately
  6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

It's your call then I've seen cheap convertors last 6 months. Some for year's.
    Most of the exhaust shop around here will warranty them for 5 years.