1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust pricing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

what should i expect to pay for a "basic" exhaut system i want them to go from the the exhaust manifold back (still using the old exhaust manifold) straight pipe all the way back get rid of the smog pump and cat. 2 1/2" pipe basic muffler. its on a 91 f-250 4 x 4 dual tanks single pipe duals coming out of the muffler single cab 8 ft bed. if any one knows of a good place in michigan or if some one does this stuff on the side let me know please
  2. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I had new duals put on my '75 GMC (350) from the manifolds back, and the guy charged $210 for generic turbo-style mufflers and 2" pipes. I didn't have any cats or any other stuff to remove. The pipes extend all the way back and exit to the side behind the rear wheels. I think the basic charge was about $180 and I paid extra to get aluminized pipe that is supposed to last longer.

He showed me that the OEM manifolds had only a 2" fitting for the exhaust pipes, so paying for bigger pipes didn't make much sense unless I wanted to also switch to headers.

The place I went to was an independent shop in San Antonio, TX. I don't know how prices would compare to Michigan.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's too bad you guys don't live here where I'm at. When I had my 2500HD, I had a guy put on dual exhaust, remove the cat. convertors, install two glasspacks and two chrome tail pipes. He only charged me $200.00 for everything! I've sent alot of work his way since then.:waving:
  4. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

You'd have to find a real shady guy to do that for you. It's illegal for a muffler shop to eliminate catalytic converters or alter the emissions system. If you have connections, its easy, and usually cheap. I had it done on my truck at a shop that I send a lot of business to.

5. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

My 92 F-250 4x4

The converter for my truck is $529.00........
  6. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

When I had the exhaust done on my 97 I paid $480.00. This was for removing the entire stock exhaust, putting on headers highflow cats and then just having to bend the pipes over the axle and out at each corner of the box with 3.5"X 24" chrome tips. Now the truck is so damn loud, but it keeps us awake while plowing. I would not suggest this type of exhaust if the truck is your daily driver, or your only plow truck. Plus it also illegal since it doesn't have any mufflers. The reason that I had it done was I use this truck for competition truck pulling in the 5,400 and 6,500 lb stock class and 6,500 and 7,200 lbs improved stock classes in this area. But for the exhaust that you are looking for I would thing your are looking at about $300.00-350.00 including an aftermarket cat, they are cheap only about $70-90. Basically every exhaust shop, unless they run an extremely shady business, will and must by law put cats back on any vehicle that originally had them.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My 1989 F-250 351 cost me : $300 cross over cat's X2 + exhaust / muffler pipes $150 + tax =$481 Sounds Great

SNOWPIMP Member

Never paid over $80.00 except when I did it myself I think that one cost me 150 or so I ordered the whole thing from Jc Whitney!
  9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Being a shop owner, I can tell you that removing a cat. is a violation of federal law a subject to a $10,000 fine. Altering any type of emission system is against the law. Any shop doing such is putting themselves in a potentially bad position. A few years ago a shop close to mine got caught removing a converter from a vehicle(EPA sting operation) fines $10,000. We do it by the book at my shop. It is also illegal even if you do it yourself. Just my .02
  10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you have yearly inspections in your state or the state has sniffers, be careful. Never ask a shop owner to do it, get a guy that coldsheds to do it or do it yourself. However it is done, and done in shops, not Muffler or Exhaust shops though.
  11. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I still don't know why people think that the way to increase performance is to remove the cats.Most are of a free flowing design and don't hamper hp by much.The cost of the fines are not worth it to me .I would rather pay more to have a reputable shop do the work than some hack backwoods ally garage .
  12. boogiedown40

boogiedown40 Junior Member

Hey I just did my exhaust from the cat back. I got the Flow Master system for the F250 with the big block. This is a 3 inch system that eliminates one of the tail pipes. I paid $180 from Summit racing. It went on real easy and sounds good.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have had exhaust systems done at shops for less money then I could buy the parts for. Bronco II parts --> $160, done out the door at muffler shop --> $140, didn't get may hands even dirty. My F-250HD 351 calls for the double cats attached to the cross over pipe. Fords price $1,000, But it gets better, they no longer have it. Walker Muffler makes it $300, direct fit.
    As said above there is no reason to remove cat's they are free flowing and do not restrict like the first generation cats do. There is no reason to take emissions controls off a truck, you gain very little and our supply of clean air suffers.
  14. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

I have a 97 f250 and i took the muffler off and pieced in a pipe to repalce it, I run the cat with out a muffler and it sounds good and is legal!
  15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Unfornatutly the V10's don't make enough back pressure for them to sound decent with an after market exhaust, I'm screwed :realmad:
  16. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I still can't type or spell for that matter LOL it's suppose to be unfortunately