1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust ? On A 6.9 Deisel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 84deisel, Jan 22, 2004.

1. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

HI ALL. Went under my truck today and found my muffler had rotted away at the pipe in front of muffler. I decided to do something cheap and run a straight pipe instead of muffler. The truck is not too loud until it gets to 3/4 throttle. my question is , has anybody ever done this and if so what were your results. The truck does accelerate better but fuel economy seems to have dropped some. BTW the truck has no turbo and exhaust is solid from manifold to were it exits behind rear wheels. Thanks in advance.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

A buddy of mine had the 84 like yours , he replaced the exhaust with 3 inch and changed the air cleaner housing, it allowed for better flow , his power increased considerably. You should have a muffler of some type for back pressure. As far as mileage he didnt care.

3. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

My father still has his 84 with the 6.9L, it has 260,000 and still going strong (at least for a 6.9), it is now just a shop truck and used as a back-up plow truck. His has been straight piped as long as I can remember. The very first thing that he does to every diesel that he gets is to cut off the exhaust and pipe it. Even his newest trucks, 04 F-350 DRW, FX4, 6.0 PSD's, all three of them are piped from the turbo back. They sound sweet as hell too!! Both of my PSD's are running 4" down pipes into clear through 5". The best thing that you can do to a diesel for performance is to ditch the muffler, they run best with no back pressure and a free flowing intake.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

7.3 Turbo diesel with Banks exhaust kit here. Nice and loud when the turbo gets rollin.:nod:

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

6. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

I agree Plow meister great site.