1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust..need input

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JAJA, Jan 3, 2015.

1. JAJA

JAJA Member

What are guys thoughts.. I have a 2003 half ton 5.3 cold air intake, throttle body spacer, electric cool fans, straight pipe exhaust, and a custom tune. Here where I need your thoughts, my exhaust is rotted and tail pipe broke today. Should be able to get a new one made up Monday what do you guys think of shortie headers I'm asking because if I do that should I do something else with the exhaust from the cats back. The way the truck sounds now is perfect for me but if I can gain power then I might give on the sound

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Imo if its a plow truck and it has a 5.3 its got plenty of power your going to increase under hood temps i had a buddy the put headers on and he cooked plug wires like crazy

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I think you're wasting money on a twelve year old half-ton.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just replace the pipe. Imo not worth the headers

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you decrease back pressure you will lose low end torque while maybe improving top end HP but the only thing guarantied is loud.

IMO for a plow truck you want power not speed.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why you wrap or ceramic coat them.

7. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Headers are intended for helping the motor breath at high RPM. I had them on a truck I used to pull a decent sized boat and didn't see a any difference. I did have to change out burnt plug wires constantly, and mine were in the way of changing plugs to. Road salt eats them up pretty quickly to.

8. rjigto4oje

When u wrap a header they have a tendency to rote

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

???????????

rote |rōt|
    noun
    mechanical or habitual repetition of something to be learned : a poem learned by rote in childhood.

Did you perhaps mean rot?

Yes wrap degrades the header much quicker, spray applications of ceramic paint help a little but have to be done every year or two because of flaking, the best bet is the Plasma spray ceramics. However again I wouldn't waste the money on headers unless I was looking for top end performance.

Summit, Design engineering and many others have heat protection for plug wires, etc.

10. rjigto4oje

yes I mean rot typing on a cell phone doesn't help the friend of mine that had headers on his dodge ram had nothing but problems he used msd wires with the heat resent sleeves like others have said it is not a good idea

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah My thumbs get in the way too:nod:

I agree Headers are not the choice for work truck applications. Now one of my guys has a "R" spec Sentra with ceramic, wrapped headers and a much larger tube size exhaust and it made a BIG difference, but then again so did the drilled aluminum crank pulley and a mire of other enhancements.

12. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

If it were me I would do high flow cats and a good sounding muffler

13. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Absolutely agree. High flow cats and Magnaflo mufflers help as much as anything.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

x3 .... ....

15. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

With custom tune in truck would you have to have redone. In my experience on bikes changing exhaust parameters /excuse the big word/ changes my tuning set up. Trucks? I put gas in em, plow and tow my toys.

16. JAJA

JAJA Member

Yeah in theory if I did headers I would have to have reprogramming done. It is a work truck but also my every day driver my idea always was for more power with in reason but also improved Milage. I was happy with my dyno numbers when I got the tune 286 rwtq and 248 rwhp and have gotten 19.5 mpg once on freeway usually around 18.5 thought it be cool to get 20mpg but it is still pretty good

17. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

if thats the mileage you have gotten, then you are lucky. i would just stick with the high flow cats and muffler and call it a day. if you want real performance you will have to give up mileage. no easy way to slice that out. they make supercharger kits, etc... but because you have to hit the pedal to make it faster (more power) you end up losing any mileage gains.

my brother supercharged his monte carlo and he could gain 1mpg if he did not drive fast or use the power, but he also said it was very lame driving that way...

18. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you change out the intake?

19. JAJA

JAJA Member

K&N cold air, throttle body spacer, and a "ram air" set up (air box in one of the bumper slips with a 8" diameter tube going to the air filter. Plow blocks that so it doesn't help then