1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Oct 9, 2009.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have a 04 F250 with the 5.4. 1 of the manifold bolts on the pas-side broke. I heard the is common. Just the head of the stud broke. How big of a job is this to fix? I was told that ford now has a SS copper coated stud to use. Anyone know the part#.Should I do both sides while I am at it? Thanks

2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

It's a pain in the a**. While your at it I would do both. It will probably take a good part of the day to do it also. Good luck.

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

It's a very common problem and difficult to do ...
    Even my old truck have the same issue Ford really needs to get it together ...

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i just went through this with a 1996 351. i bought new stainless headers as the original exhaust manifolds were cracked and rotting. i gave myself an entire saturday to remove the old manifolds - but that was wishful thinking.

i soaked the bolts every morning in kroil penetrating oil for 2 weeks prior to the project. then went at a couple of bolts with my oxy/ace torches. didn't make one bit of difference - all 3 bolts i attemped broke off. at that point i said screw it and pulled the motor as the oil pan and radiator support needed replacement anyway.

once on the engine stand, i grinded the heads of the bolts off, then with a big hammer, i took off the manifold with the bolt studs still remaining in the head. then with good access, i heated the head around the stud and worked it out with a vise grip. the other 3 bolts i broke off before pulling the motor snapped flush with the head. tried welding a nut on as that has saved me in the past, but not this time. had to drill dead center on the stud with a drill whose diameter was slightly smaller than the threads, then work the threads out of the hole with a pick.

PIA - moral of the story, don't expect it to be quick and easy. plan for some vehicle down time just in case.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

6. XplowX

XplowX Junior Member

The first thing i would do is go to the dealer and make sure it isnt under warranty, emmissions warranty on 2004 ford trucks is 8 yrs/ 80,000 miles, you are within the year , i dont know about mileage. but give it a shot.

7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have 52,000 on the truck. I haven't spoke to the dealer but from what I found on FORD's website the 04 has 5/50,000 on emissions. Californa trucks have the 8/80. Maybe wrong. Can someone confim?

8. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I have the same problem right now, my 2006 F250 5.4 has an exhaust manifold leak, Im using wishful thinking and hoping it just needs to be tightened......but Im also being realistic...Im gonna take a look tomorrow and hopefully its a loosening problem and not a broken stud problem..just last week I started to hear my truck make a ticking noise and I actually started a thread on here already about it, and there was alot of guys with helpful answers...it just friggin figures though,...just spent $1000 on new tires for the winter...when I was mounting my new tires I realized I will need a new front right caliper..which means I might as well do the pads as well...and then the topper, Im starting to think this manifold issue isnt going to be a quick and easy fix....I would have held off on the tires....yay...spending money...yay...haha...coulda done without this!!

9. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Depending on your milage you should still be under the emission warrenty. As far as I know I am not.

10. T&M SnowMan

I have 38,000 on my truck, do you know the mileage coverage or years on warranty?

11. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

It should be covered under the rmission warrenty which on th 04 is 5yr/50,000 miles so you should be covered.

12. T&M SnowMan

out friggin standing...that was a bill I wasnt wanting to deal with..I will have to get on the horn with my local Ford dealer...Me having a cool air induction wont effect the warranty I am guessing, since it wouldnt cause the studs to break/loosen..ha...never know though, anything not to honor the warranty they will go with..wish me luck!!

13. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I just hit 50k, with TWO broken manifold studs (drivers side). Right now it only leaks when its stone cold. Once warmed up, it's fine. I'm gonna wait til after the winter - pull the manifold and do all the studs. Oh, and it's a V10, so half of the motor is basically under the dash - awesome.:rolleyes:

14. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

My 5.4 has the same issue. What pisses me off is this is the second time. I had it done once around 35,000 and now I am at 62,000 and it has been making noise since about 56,000 miles. I have been to busy to take it in but I am going to in the next week or so for sure.

With the 150 I know better then to try it. The shop manual states that the passenger motor mount needs removed to fix it. I'm not dicking with that.

15. T&M SnowMan

yup, mines going to Ford dealer in town the first of the week...passenger side manifold has a small leak...glad its covered on warranty...because when putting on my winter tires/rims last Friday, I found both front calipers were either froze up or close to it...so $1000 later I have 2 new front rotors, 4 new brake pads and 2 new calipers....YAY...good times...better to find out about the brakes now instead of 12am with 800 lbs in the bed and 750lbs of plow/headgear on the front going down the road like a train on the tracks not being able to stop...HAHA

16. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Dont matter what model of vehicle you got,its a pain doing exhaust manifold studs. Think they would comeup with a better way of securing the manifold. If you expect to take a lot of time, and stay cool calm and collected you'll be able to get the job done. Good Luck,

17. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Just got to find the time to do it. This are so busy right now I have no time.

18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I must of lucked out with my 5.8 exhaust manifold replacement. They were gone, the nuts and bolts were round globs of rust. I just drove a 12mm or 11mm impact socket onto them. They turned right out, only had to cut off 2 of them. I knew they had been done before. Someone used a lug nut for a spacer!

19. T&M SnowMan

ah yes,...the good old lug nut exhaust manifold spacer, part# 002-1478...I believe you can get them at Napa Auto..lol

20. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I got my truck back on friday. I could not stand the noise anymore and the way they cram the 5.4 into the F-150 there is no way your getting to it without a lift. My friend whos a tech said they actually have to unbolt the motor on the passenger side and turn it up about 3" to get the manifold out.

1 stud was broken, 1 more broke off when they were taking it out. The manifold was warped and leaking in 3 spots. The ****** thing is it cost me just over a grand to have fixed. I probably could have had a shop do headers for that much.

The good thing is the only ticking I hear now is from the lifters, and thats normal.