1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by jeepguy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jeepguy

jeepguy Junior Member

Anybody else have there exhaust manifold crack on there TJ with a 4.0L. My did now it sounds like I'm running open exhaust. Anybody know where the best and cheapest place to get one is. Anything info will help.
  2. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

I took mine off and welded it. Quieted that sucker right down to brand new. They crack at the bottom where the collecter is. (where all pipes come together). I think a new one was like $320 clams. F_ _K that! payup :dizzy:

The guy that bought it from me 3 years ago is still driving around... quietly. :D
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

YUP that is a common problem. Sometimes the weld holds sometimes it cracks next to the weld.

you can get a Banks Manafold from www.elias4wdcenter.com
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

5. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

6. Brandon

Brandon Member

Check at your local parts store. Mine was toast on my Ranger. They had them for me within a day. One was $50, other was $100, because it had the stupid EGR fitting. Dorman is the name of the company. They make them for alot of vehicles.....worth a shot.
  7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

8. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

yup very common problem....time to go aftermarket!!!
  9. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

try ebay around $100 shipped for an oem. I got a stainless header for $175 shipped off of there.
  10. theplowmeister

from MA

I thought my manafold cracked. I was getting the exhost noise and knowing how much they like to crack I asumed that was the problem. Turns out I had 2 problems
  11. theplowmeister

from MA

Sorry my computer quit in the middle of that post:realmad:

Problem 1 the heavy washer that clamps the exhaust manifold to that head in the middle top was missing??? so the manifold burned through the gasket and was leaking.

Problem 2 that connection between the rear cat and manifold was loose, how the rusted bolts got loose I dont know.

So the fix was new exhaust/ intake gasket, Replace bolts (stainless bolt, steal nut) on cat to manifold connection.
  12. jeepguy

jeepguy Junior Member

the two tubes that come down in the collector are cracked. I have a new manifold on the way, should be here today. Got it off ebay brand new 88 bucks and that includes shipping. I'll get some pics of the old one when I get it off this weekend.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Common 4.0 problem, I have a new one hanging in the back of the shop. own too many of that lovable straight 6 not to have one around.

There's a thread about the FORD 5.4 liter being a legendary engine. the JEEP 4.0L Straight Six that's a legend!
  14. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Just about everybody had a legendary strait six.Ford had the 300 and all the predecessors the 200, 230,and 250. There was a 223 but that didn't have that have that many fans I,ve been told. Chevy a 250 also and leave it to Chrysler to have the slant 6.
    I have had 2 300 Fords and now my Jeep. I love them.
    Sorry for the rambling, they are a great motor. I just keep my fingers crossed about the manifold issue, but it defiantly has a reputation.
  15. ajg1460

ajg1460 Junior Member
    from Texas

Does anyone know how many bolts hold the exhaust and intake manifolds. I'm replacing the exhaust manifold and have removed 10 bolts and its still hanging on tight as ever. Oh 98 TJ 4.0.
  16. ajg1460

ajg1460 Junior Member
    from Texas

After standing on my head for an hour seaching I can attest to fact that their are 11
  17. NHJeeper

NHJeeper Junior Member

The stock manifold cracked on my XJ's 4.0 just a couple months back, got an aftermarket header by Rugged Ridge for $150. Little more power coupled with the cat back I have and the construction is a lot better.

Only problem with going with a header was it was a bit harder to get the bolts back into the the block, but that's what my wife's smaller hands are helpfull for.
  18. ajg1460

ajg1460 Junior Member
    from Texas

I wish I'd found this forum before I bought a stock Exhaust manifold from Quadratec. The headers listed in their catalog where 2-3x the cost of a stock manifold. Oh well, live and learn xysport