1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by nicks_xj, Dec 8, 2011.

1. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

has any one had to put a new manifold on there jeep with the 4.0 an if so which is the best to get looking a one but not sure about it because ive never seen a manifold with bellows on it heres a pic of what im talking about

main.jpg

2. Curro

Curro Member

They put those flex bellows in because 4.0 manifolds are notorious for cracking due to flexing....

3. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

thats what i was thinkin but wasnt sure if it was gonna restict the flow or not but i think im gonna order it

4. Curro

Curro Member

nah it shouldn't restrict the flow much and I cant tell you how many factory manifolds I have replaced or welded..

5. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I can tell you I installed that same stainless steel design as you are showing and it lasted about 15K miles and 2 years of plowing. Think twice before buying that. Spend a few more bucks and get a better one.

6. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i think i got a leak some where or maybe just normal jeep sounds its louder when it starts and quiets down. that damn area right near the transmission as it comes down looks like someone took a hammer to it . but everyone says its normal because the exhaust system is so stiff i guess it crushed in on itself. idk........

7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Ive had a a few "failures" due to worn motor mounts when pushing heavy. Twists rusted exhaust pipe pretty easily. Nice and load lets my clients know we were there.

8. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

i can see the crack in the manifold i tried to seal it up with some stuff my cousin gets at his shop and it worked for two weeks then just blew apart two days ago and now it loud as hell

most of my accounts know i've been there because i put a flowmaster 40 series with duals on my jeep and there neighbors thy telling me not to come so early to clear the drives because my exhaust it too loud and it wakes them up

9. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

Wasn't planning on making this my first post but here goes.

I'm a Jeep guy and the main problem with the broken exhaust headers is that the engine mounts are worn or broken. If you are going to be putting strain on the drivetrain other than highway driving (which plowing or offroading are) then you need to upgrade to a stronger than OEM engine mount. Look into Brown Dog or MORE engine mounts which will keep your replacement header from cracking. The cheap headers from autopartsnetwork.com or ebay.com will last just fine if the engine mount issue is solved.

10. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

If you have a Cherokee (XJ) then that dent is supposed to be there. It comes in the downtube from the factory to clearance part of the suspension. I'm not sure if other Jeep platforms have the same indentation or not.

11. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Real common on these rigs. I welded up our G/C manifold once, it cracked a while later, then I finally replaced it. Still isn't that great. Mine has a really heavy mounting plate on it that I see this one doesn't have. I didn't know about the ones with the expansion tubes. My 87 plow truck has the expansion type on it, I think it's original. I'd go with you are looking at if I were doing it again.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That was added to try to prevent the cracking that was common in the early models. We keep an extra around just for that reason.

13. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

i talked to a couple people about the diffrence in the manifolds and everyone kept telling me if your gonna be plowing to get a good manifold not a cheap one and i found one thats fairly priced so its ordered and now just gotta find time to put it on heres a pic

getimage.jpg