1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust manifold stud-help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ticki2, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Working on a Subaru replacing exhaust pipe gasket where it attaches to the head. Well as per Murphy 5 came off and one broke off ( 3 on each side ). So I drill and tap a new hole . Must have gone a little too deep and now get a drip of oil coming out at the stud , only when it's running. Anyone have a magic potion they know of that I can put on the tread to stop the leak . It would have to be oil resistant and be high temp , I'm guessing at lest 1000 deg. All suggestions welcome , thanks.
  2. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

JB Weld?

Muffler Putty, the stuff you get at the muffler shop, not the auto store..
    anything that would seal an exhaust leak on the threads....

If you use JB Weld, you will never be able to take that bolt aout again, but it should seal the leak if you put it on the threads then screw it in...

can't think of anything else off the top of my head....

do they make any sort of high heat thread tape? if so that would work...
  3. bigblock73

bigblock73 Member

High temp silicone
    Lock tight thread sealer
    Have you tried the subaru forums,I go to the outback one.Seem like nice guys