1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust Manifold QUestion

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dewey, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have a 99 GMC With the 6.5 Diesel. I recently had it to my mechanic for the pre-season checkup.... One issue he thinks I may have soon is that the manifolds are rusting ALLOT.... There is faint soot between the gasket and block. The truck has 118,000 Miles on it. He says to fix them when they finally fail is expensive to repair and probably not worth doing, and that I should buy a newer truck.... The truck has been a PIA to a degree I have had it for over 10 years and it has worked pretty much all of it...I have had all of the issues that one has with the 6.5 some of them multiple times...I really don't want a truck payment and would like to get a few more years out of it sooo ..How big a job is this and how expensive????

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

If the rest of the truck is in good shape fix it take a look at things like brake lines fuel lines and the frame a repair like this all depends on how much time it takes to remove the old rusty bolts look on the bright side they they will last for another 118,000 thousand at 118,000 the diesel engine is just getting broken in 500 to 750 should be a good estimate labor only plus parts

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have kept the truck up well the frame is not rusty the cab has some rust but is fixable and all lines are good the mechanic is talking a 2-3 thousand dollars...

4. rjigto4oje

Find a new mechanic im a mechanic your parts are around 300 ish from rock rock auto hes trying to gouge you get a few estimates it sounds like he plans on keeping your truck for week or to the only way it should be that price is if the heads have to come off if they heat the bolts and work them and take your time you can save a grand or two

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Alum heads. I'm sure he plans to have to drill and Heli-Coil some holes.

6. rjigto4oje

Rock auto's parts list studs use a small torch head use a set of good of extractors come on 2 to 3 grand

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Drilling and heli coil is the total wrong way to go.

8. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Tell us, what would you do with broken exhaust manifold bolts or stripped alum holes?

9. rjigto4oje

If you use heat (torch) you can get the frozen bolts out

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Weld nuts to the broken stud/bolt. I have been doing this for years. I never have drilled a broken bolt out and have removed many. Fords and Gm mostly.

11. rjigto4oje

having the right tools and techniques you can fix anything

12. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

Ya I have done the weld nut thing before.... So I guess from what you guys say here the price I was given was way high ? It still looks like it would be a miserable job to do.

13. rjigto4oje

Take your time you can do it we have faith in you sounds like you can weld

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

All the ones I have done have been miserable, but not 2k miserable. I just did my Wife's Escalade. 6.0 LS gas motor. What a night mare getting in there. Had to remove the fender wells which is a given. Also had to remove the dip stick tube and it broke, then had to make a tool to get the broken dip stick tube out. I chased the threads in the alum. heads with a tap. No more ticking now and nice a quiet. The Ford gas motors also have this issue, 5.4's and V-10s. I did my 5.4 which required new manifolds as they were junk. Figure at least a couple of days working on it.