1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust Manifold missing part!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BRL, Dec 22, 2002.

1. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I recently had my engine replaced in my 93 Blazer, a V-8. Last night while driving a major exhaust leak started out of nowhere. I looked at it today & I see something fell out of a threaded hole. My mechanic is in Fla & the other people I know who might be able to help are also MIA at this time. I'm not a mechanic but I will try to explain it & maybe somebody here can help me???

Above the 2 mounting bolts on the section of the manifold closest to the front on the driver side there is a section that rises up. There is a 3\4" threaded hole there that had something in it before last night LOL. I looked at the passenger side and that section also has the higher section, however it is completely sealed with no hole, or bolt inserted in a hole there to make a guess as to what was on the driver side. Any ideas? Can I just put a bolt in there to seal the exhaust leak until I get it to the shop for them to look at? Besides waking up everybody that may be sleeping in their houses near where I'm driving, is it OK to take short trips with that 3\4" exhaust leak, or could that create other problems with the engine? Thanks for any help.
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Pollution valve?? Mike
  3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Yea, sounds like Egr tube mine rotted off also, bought a new one from the dealer.:waving:
  4. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

install a pipe plug of the correct size with some exhaust sealer on it and keep driving but it is not recomended to drive it if the hole is large enough there is a possibility that cold air could goback into the exhaust and damage the valve not very probable but possible
  5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Oxygen Sensor

The sensor is threaded into the exhaust manifold.
    Torque the sensor to 30 foot-pounds using a special socket.
    A sensor that is too loose or a cracked exhaust manifold can result in a lean signal to the computer.

Easy repair as long as it just fell out. Your mechanic prolly replaced it when he did the engine & didnt tighten it up enough. Either wait untill he gets back or get a new one & do it yourself.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2002
  6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Well it turned out it was just a plug. The sensers are in 2 other locations- one lower & further back in the manifold & one in the engine block. The old manifold didn't have this threaded hole & the new one didn't come with a plug. So he used a plug that wasn't exact just to plug it up & apparantly it didn't hold. Took me 3 trips to 3 different places to finally find a plug that fit :( Thanks for the replies everyone.