1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust manifold bolts rusting out

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gssuperduty, Dec 23, 2005.

1. gssuperduty

gssuperduty Junior Member

Hi Guy
    Any of you who have gas engines have problems with your manifold bolts rusting out. I have a 99 F250 with 5.4 and 1 driver side bolt is completely gone,noisy as hell, got an estimate, $2000.00 to repair ,ouch. Any of you have similar problems .

Gerry:realmad:

2. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Yes. I bought a set of JBA stainless headers for my truck. I was hoping to combat the rust issue. My bolts are rusted off! The manifolds are rusted on so there is just a slight leak until it gets warm...for now. I need to get new heads. The 99's have non PI heads and they will blow the spark plug right out because there are only like 3 threads that hold it in. So it is a PI head swap in my future. I am selling the headers to finance the head swap if you are interested.

3. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Mine have not quite gone yet. I do know after one night out plowing there is a lot of salt build up on the manifolds. Especially, on the driver's side. I try and wash them frequently. Maybe that what's been saving my butt. On the other side of the coin they may go any day.

4. ProfessionalTou

ProfessionalTou Junior Member

The back two studs are missing on the drivers side manifold of my 99 f-250 Ld. The top stud is missing and the bottom one is broken off.Makes a really bad tick.$2000 sounds like a pretty high price to just remove some broken bolts(new manifold $90, Studs & Nuts $20, Gasket $50 & labor?).Maybe they gave you that price so they wouldn't get the job.

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

it usually requires head removal or replacement.Thats why it can be $2000 or$4000.We have had 3 or 4 v10's done and on them engine r&r is neccary.

6. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Manifold studs

I have a 2001 F-250 the passenger side already rusted off, the truck only had 39.000 miles on it ???

7. brookview

brookview Junior Member

was told by my dealer it is covered 8 yr or 80000 miles

8. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

Thought it was only Chevy that had this problem. I had a 2000 2500 Silverado and i replaced bolts and manifolds 3 years in a row. Dealer said that it was from plowing. I thought was BS truck had 43,000 miles on it.

9. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

brookview what dealer and who did you talk to that told you this live in Saginaw, mi and would be happy to come over there and let them fix mine. I need to get mine fixed and until some of these sob's pay for thier plows, I dont really have the money.

10. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

Thank god i got the extended warranty my pass. side is completely rusted.

11. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I have a bolt snapped off on both sides... The remaining ones are in pretty bad shape.

The shop has to drill out the one's that are snapped and they did talk about possible header work. Truck is fine for now, might have the work done in the spring.

Mine is a 2000 F-250 V10

DOES ANYONE KNOW if I can go b$tch at the dealership about this? Would they give in?

12. brookview

brookview Junior Member

read the warranty statement on fords web site it reads that gvw of 8500 or less is 8/80 if more than 8500 gvw then its 5/50 so i am not sure who is right

13. mike_09

mike_09 Member
    from Ohio

seems right, My dads company had a 99 also but with a v10 and the manifold melted on the motor, took 4 to 5 hours trying to get it off by cutting.Good luck!

14. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Old man had the same problem with his 98 F250. Finally got the manifold fixed, and still loud, found out, the muffler is also going.

15. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I had a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500. I had the exhaust manifolds replaced 3 years in a row. When they took them off they would almost crumble.Dealers claim is from plowing. I sold the POS and now have a 95 f-150 for plowing, and an 05 mustang. The F-150 cheaper and easier to fix. Good Luck

16. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Good news.... ford's webpage claims my 2000 f-250 v-10 has a 8yr/80k warranty on emmisions which includes the exhaust manifold!

I printed the pages and am going to the dealership tmr!

17. kjconnor

kjconnor Junior Member

2000 Ford F-250 Rusted manifold bolts

I just had my 2000 Ford F-250 repaired. Two manifold bolts were completely rusted out. The local repair station installed a new manifold and installed the new manifold studs for $416.00.

18. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Manifold Studs

Yes, I went to the Ford site and saw where it said 8years/80,000 miles. So to everyone that has paid for this repair I would be getting my MONEY back Thur ford....

19. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Question , what are PI heads?

20. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member