1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust leak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by R.J.B., Mar 26, 2010.

1. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

First of all i am new to this site and it is great!! This is my question. I have a 2003 f-250 5.4 with 60k, the passenger side manifold is leaking and getting the typical tickin sound. What is everyones opinion about changing both sides out and putting on stainless headers? I want to put on gibson headers.Plus i figure i will get more power and cooler temps.And hopefully i won't have to change them out again.

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

thats what i did had 2 drill out 5 bolts
  3. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

do it if you have the money because it only gets worse. seems like a common Ford problem, can only repair the studs so many times before manifold starts rotting away.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Betting you have more then a few broken manifold bolts.
    www.ford-trucks.com has several pages with pictures and details on how to do the swap
  5. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

Replaced both exhaust manifolds on both my F-1 50's atleast replaced bolts with stainless steal studs and number one rule don't heat the head with a torch to get the bolts out. :)
  6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

But you can heat the stud to get it out of the head. I actually had to plasma cut the nuts off cause there was no way to hammer a socket on them no matter what size socket was used. I then had to weld nuts to all the studs and the head help break them loose.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its a real PITA no matter how you go at it! When I turned wrenches on the cop cars it seemed when they started getting around 40-60k, they were always going bad. Ive done so many of those stupid things. My 06 f250 started to go bad at just under 30k and they replaced both sides under warranty.:D A right angle drill is great to have.
  8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 00 f350 that we replaced the manifold gaskets on at least 7 times. A few months ago it was time to replace them both again, so instead we replaced the whole friggin motor. :nod:

9. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

That is friggin funny! I would agree after 7 I would do the same!
  10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

why not?????
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am pretty sure it will warp the head if you apply heat.

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Have not warped one yet. But if u use to much heat u are in deep #$^@#
  13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have not either. Heat is your friend in this situation to get the stud out. As stated before too much of a good thing is not good.