1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust Help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by greyst1, Dec 16, 2010.

1. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Hey everyone! I have a 2002 2500HD 4WD regular cab with an 8' bed. If you look at the underneath of the stock muffler, I believe it has 6 tack welds. 2 of the tack welds either popped or rusted out? I assume these 6 tack welds hold the chamber/resonator inside the muffler? Since the truck has 90k miles on it, its probably ready for a new exhaust system from the cat converter back. The dealer is telling me that this truck has 2 cat converters. One main one and another between the main one and the muffler. The dealer wants $894 plus tax for an OEM welded all one piece to replace the exisiting. Thats insane to invest that kind of money on a truck this old. My problem is, I'm having a hard time finding an aluminized/ss one piece replacement from the main cat converter back including the second smaller cat converter. Not looking for alot of noise, but am looking for something close to the OEM if not better all one piece. All the name brand after market exhaust companies list mufflers for ext cab with short bed only? No regular cab with 8' box??? Am I not looking hard enough? Have any of you replace your 1 piece system with after market ones? If so, what brand? Thank for reading and any advice (B&B) would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Flowmaster makes a nice one for regular cab long bed. Comes with a 70 series muffler which isn't loud at all. And no there isn't a smaller cat. There are 2 cats of the same size under that truck. The muffler is a dual inlet style. Check out summitracing for a cat back system. I run true duals on my 6.0 which is gonna be a lot louder than you are going for

3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Have you tryed going to a local exhaust shop?

4. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Thats last resort. I want to install it myself.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I use to think that way and got tierd of the B S , thats one of the only thing I bring to the pros, the cost isn't that high to have them do it and your butt isn't under there fighting to install it correctly. JMO

6. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

If the pipes are in good shape I usually sawzall the old muffler out and weld a new one in.