1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust fumes while plowing.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CK82, Jan 11, 2009.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

When I finish a plow shift, even in as little as 4 or so hours, I feel extremely messed up and light headed. I talked with one of my employees and he feels the same way after plowing. I think a lot of exhuast fumes get in and around the cab while plowing going back and forth. Anyone have this issue?! I can work for days usually, but inhaling the fumes kills me! Guys any suggestions or information on this?! I have plowed with the windows completely down, completely up, one window up one down, and so on. I even feel that the fumes get sucked up through the engine comparment into the cab when the fan is running. Please help!

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are getting that much in the cab and it makes you sick either the truck needs exhaust work or you need a new profession. Never had a problem in 10 years of plowing snow...
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Sounds like its time for stacks!
  4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

My guess you might have a exhaust leak.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Had a truck where the muffler broke off underneath the floor boards and with the floor boards rotted out.Didn't know which was worst the loud noise or the fumes.
  6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I would:

Look at where the tailpipes dump.
    Look for any leaks in the fire wall. Grommets torn or plugs missing. Use pug duct putty on any small holes you find.
    Look for exhaust leak in engine bay or below truck.
    Is the engine out of tune?
    Is the engine leaking or burning oil?
    Are the u-joints slinging grease on, or trans or t/c throwing leaking oil on hot exhaust?

I would suspect fumes from engine bay coming in through a compromised seal in the firewall, since you notice it with windows down too..

RODHALL Senior Member

I have been able to plow for 8-10 hours at a time without any ill effects.
    inspect the cab floor and fire wall of the cab, for holes and or weak spots.
    Clean the cab air inlet in the cowl and make sure your cowl area stays clean of snow.
    (what may be happening) is the cab air inlet is in the cowl area, if it gets covered with wet snow it suck air for the enigne bay.
    look at the exhaust for any leaks, make sure it come out behind the right rear tire...
    keep the right window up while plowing.

in your sign there is 2 gm trucks...
    this may be long shot but Are you doing alot of back dragging? as low as they set what may be happing snow geeting up under them onto the exhaust and as it cooks or boils it take the fumes or gasses from the exhaust and pumps it cab of the truck... the only way to solve this is get the truck up higher...
  8. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Are you sure it's from fumes. I get a little motion sickness from time to time and my sub gets it really bad. Just from bouncing around and the truck suspension working.
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i get the same thing. the forward back forward back, stopping fast while hitting piles, plus my head spinnning around like an owl looking for cars just wears on you.
  10. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I get the same thing only if my passenger side window is open so it stays closed at all times

I thought about stacks but man I will get a headache from the noise :dizzy:
  11. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you may have an exhaust leak. Just my 02
  12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i always thought that was part of plowing....

who knew?!
  13. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

Carbon Monoxide

Get a carbon monoxide detector that runs off batteries and bring it into the cab while plowing. They make ones with a digital read out. If you are getting exhaust into the cab you will def have readings. Havn't tried it but headache, dizziness, weakness and becoming over tired are a few signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. I've never had the problem.
  14. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I wouldn't be plowing if I was dealing with that. Seems to me that somehow carbon monoxide is entering the cab.
  15. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I would imagine its not a leak in the exhaust or anything of that sort. My trucks are an 06 GMC 2500, and a 95 Chevy2500. I think I will try the carbon monoxide detetor just to see if that is indeed the cause. I just think it gets in while the windows are down, and gets sucked in through the engine compartment by the fan. While plowing the other day I watched the exhaust come up over the truck a number of times while backing up, think of how many times you back up. I dont know, maybe Im crazy. Something gets me feeling weird by the end of the day. I appreciate the comments.
  16. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

Take a walk over to your doc's office and have yourself checked out...especially have your blood work done...CO is dangerous...and if it isn't CO...then you need to find out what it is,,,;)
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Prolly just the cheese melting.
  18. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

i've never had problems with fumes, sometimes I'll feel lightheaded when getting out of the truck b/c I've been sitting down for an extended period of time--but we're talking for 10+ hrs of driving.

I'd check out the suggestions of looking for possible exhaust leaks.
  19. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Stop by your local FD, ask them if they have a CO detector, they likely do. Run the truck outside without being uin it and see if they read any build up. If not you have other issues, seems kinda odd though. Even a small amount of fresh air, even a window cracked or opening the door to get in and out should really move enough air to keeps levels low uless you have some kind of massive leak.
    I've plowed for years, loaders,trucks, everything sometimes for 24 hours striaght(admittedly not smart) and some of these were real pieces of S**T, never had an issue.
  20. 24/7

24/7 Member

You can buy them for airplanes -- stick on and they turn colour NO batteries needed.

Part No. PHOTO Description CART Price
    DTR CO
    Carbon Monoxide Detector Deadstop

The DEADSTOP carbon monoxide detector is the most inexpensive life insurance available. Any change in color of the spot indicates the presence of hazardous concentrations of this colorless, odorless gas. Fresh air will return the spot to normal color. Adhesive backed for easy mounting. This is one cockpit aid you should not be missing.