1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust, fumes and Liquid!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by seabeetough, Oct 31, 2003.

1. seabeetough

seabeetough Junior Member

Can anyone tell me what this means. I had my truck backed up to my garage door and started it I reved it alittle and on the door theres a liquid kinda oily looking and smells kick gas. Im sure I dont want to hear this but can anyone tell me what it sounds like could be wrong?

Thanks

Chuck

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

One of the byproducts of combustion is water,and it will condense inside the exhaust pipes,and muffler.When you rev it up,it will throw some of it out the exhaust,as well as any carbon,oil residue,or gas fumes as well.It's nothing out of the ordinary.

3. seabeetough

What if it happens alot, everytime I start it?

Thanks, I should just e-mail you directly sense your the one who always answers me:)

Thanks again

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's better to post it here,so otherx can see your problem,and possibly learn something.I get WAAYY t many e-mails already :D

5. seabeetough

OK, not a problem. Could there be anything else wrong if it does it everytime I start it?

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

As long as there isn't a lot of white or blue smoke, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem at all.

I did that once, thought it looked kinda cool, so I left the two spatter patterns on the door. It's a heck of a conversation starter...

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

As long as your not losing coolant,then it's just condensation.It is the worst when you first start it as the pipes are cold.Don't worry about,all vehicles do it.

8. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

My truck does the same thing everytime I start it. Appears to be normal since it's running just fine!

9. seabeetough

I was looking at mine again today. it really blow alot out. The ground underneath where the pipe are looks like water was dumped there after about 5 minutes of running and now I have smoke coming out its greyish white i guess. Kind of hard to tell im color blind..:) wouldnt it eventually evaporate?

10. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

It sounds like you have coolant leaking into the combustion chambers somewhere- any loss in power at all? You might want to consider having a compression check done to see if one of your cylinders is possibly leaking anti freeze- blown head or intake gasket possibly?

What kind of truck do you have?
    What size motor, and how many miles on it?

Most improtantly- have you checked your coolant lately? Pop the radiator cap and see if it's low- if it's not see if you can see any oil mixed in( will have a sheen similar to oil on water) also check your oil dipstick to see if you have any foam or light brown mixed in. When your engine is running it will mix the oil and water up into a foam that will stick to it. You can also loosen your oil plug after it sits all night and as it starts to leak any water in the oil pan will be on the bottom. You don't have to pull the plug all the way out because the water will seep around the threads of the plug when you get it about halfway out.

If there is no sign of oil in the anti freeze, or vice versa, then there is an excellent chance that it is just condensation. If you have any doubt though it is worth haveing a compression check done on your engine and possibly the cooling system also.

Did I miss anything, or say anything wrong wyldman? I have done most of my own work for years now, but I am by far no expert.

Good Luck, and keep us posted!!

Bill

11. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

Check your upper radiator hose when the engine is warmed up, it should be firm from pressure building in the cooling system, if in doubt have the cooling system pressure tested and you will know for sure if you have a leak.
    Good Luck

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Nope,pretty much what I said earlier,and was going to say again.

It's that time of year,when we tend to see a lot of condensate buildup in the exhaust system.,so I still think it's probably just that.Only time,and a little further investigation will tell.

13. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

seabeetough

Does it snow in VA Beach?

14. seabeetough

Yes it does snow here but not that bad. Were like right in the middle where it rains alot south of us and it snow alot north of us but not to bad here.
    I just bought it about two weeks ago and havent driven it yet. I have to redo the hubs and havent had a chance. Ive got everything just got really busy for some reason in the past couple of weeks.
    Its a 85 Chevy Siverado with a 350. It originaly came with a 305. I was thinking coolant also because the was a little puddle of coolant on top of the manifold. A shade tree machanic friend of mine went with me when I got it and said it looked like the hose had been replaced and it could be from that or because it was parked on a steep hill and maybe the hose leaked. but after I cleaned it up I havent seen anymore on it. Im hopeing to have the hubs done by this week end so I can drive it and see whats going on. I only paid 1000 bucks for the truck from a guy in the military who really needed the money. He drove it everyday until the bearings/hub on the driver side needed to be replaced.
    Thanks for the info Im going to check everything everyone has suggested hopefully its notig but I want to be sure. Thanks again

15. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Is it getting cold at night there? I noticed my truckwill smoke till its warm and water always comes out. I thought I heard once that chevies over a certain milage are notorious for smoking a little. If it runs and coolant is good I would think its just because its about 18 years old and its been driven every day. I'm no expert, but it seems normal for an older truck.
    Eric