1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhaust donuts ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I have developed a leak at my crossover/exhaust manifold. I figure i can snap the studs,,,hit them with the torch,,take them out and replace the studs and donuts.

Question is do chevys use donuts ??? 90' "454" ??

thanks
    Keith

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Keith - Yes they do use a donut type gasket.The studs will most likely snap off when you do it.Even if they don't,you won't be able to reuse them,as the threads below the nut usually rust off,and you need them to get the spring on and compressed,so they will need to be replaced anyways.

You might want to torch the nuts and springs off first,instead of just snapping the studs.The studs are tapered down right where the enter the manifold,and tend to snap off there,making them difficult to get out.If blow off the nuts,you have lots of stud to get a stud remover on,and then just heat the manifold ear up red hot and wind them out.Be careful,and go slow,those ears are pretty thin.

Before you put the new studs in,run a tap though the holes,as the rust will make it real difficult to get the new studs in and tight.

The studs are best sourced from GM,don't have the part number handy.The aftermarket studs are junk,and commonly break.

The donuts are walker part number 31398 and you'll need two.

The springs and nuts are part number 35759,and you need six in total.

You ,may also want to take a good look at the y-pipe when it's down.They commonly rust out right at the flange,and will leak even after the donuts have been replaced.Walker part number for the y-pipe should be 40211.

How's the car doing ? did you find enough blocks ?

I still haven't come across one of the older style 2101's yet,but if I do,i'll let you know.

3. Earthscapes

from WNY

Thanks for the fast reply !!!!!!!!!

If i did everything in your list when will i have time to :drinkup: LOL

Best part yet..friend calls me up,bout an hour ago, he needs to borrow my truck...i say sure you can use it just fix the exhaust system (he owns a auto repair shop).

So now i have lots of time to :drinkup:

Car is doing much better..were on our 3rd engine. ran 1st,4th & 2nd,,since we got our new steam in 2 weeks ago. I found an intake so i'm all set there.

Oswego,NY "ROC" next weekend 50 laps $2000 to win with over 58 cars entered on just the early entry list. They start a field of 32 cars in the A main. Hopefully eveything goes well,,,we haven't finished an A main there in 3 yrs. I'm leaving next thursday,,so i'll have results sunday nite..if i'm not :sleeping:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well good luck,hope you at least finish the A main,if not win it. payup

Let me know the results,but they can wait until monday. :D

5. Earthscapes

from WNY

56 cars entered
    32 to start the A main.

I pulled the #13 pill which put us on the outside of the front row in the first heat. Blew the field away leading 11 of the 12 laps.
    Jim complained the car was way loose with 2 to go.

Top 15 in the heat races redraw for the A-main. We won the first heat so Jim draws first. They only let drivers draw,,so that should tell you where we started lucky 15th !!

I added 8 gallons of fuel and put in 1/2 a round wedge for the feature which should have tightened the car up. About 5 laps into the race the car is all over the place and he's losing spots instead
    of gaining....finally at lap 20 a caution comes out and we get to pit
    (almost got lapped,,thankgod for spinning cars)... I check out the car everything's tight....tires are good (air pressure) i add some more wedge and send him back out. the car is really good for 5 laps, passed 12 cars,,then starts to go away again.....he's screaming on the radio the car is bad loose...i tell him to just cruise around at this point and wait for another caution. about 8 laps later, something broke and he's coasting down the frontstrech, when the car vears left and somebody comes out of nowhere and drives right over the left side bar and front tire, sending that car 8-9' in the air and into the wall. totallly eneding our already bad day.

So another year another ROC and we finish 26th this yr.
    Ended up being a broken drive flange,,which took out the axle

i'm going bed later

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.Thanks for the update though.