1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust cut-outs...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hi all-

I was thinking of putting exhaust cut-outs on my truck- I'd like it to be loud during the summer, but quieter in the winter for plowing (for obvious reasons). Has anyone put exhaust cut-outs on their trucks? If so- how do you like them? How insane loud are the trucks with no muffler? Is it illegal to run cutouts in NJ does anyone know?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

well its prolly illegal because you by pass the cat! and the decibls but hey go for it!!!

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I was thinking about getting them on my truck too. Let me know how it goes if you do it?

4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

all you have to do is put it in after the cat before the muffler..not a biggie

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

It will be VERY loud. and it will rattle everything with the DB in the truck since they will dump right under the floor. They have some cool ones out there with an elctronic solenoid that controls the open/close action so with the flip of a switch you can go from stock to cutout. I think they are a few hundred bux but they are pretty cool! A friend of mine had them on his Neon errr i mean Skittle....errr crap i mean SRT-4

6. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I had that on my 96 camaro. nice and quiet when i wanted then push the button and in 3 seconds I could go to full loud. I usualy jsut opened it a little bit to give it some sound but not rediculous loud. you can see the cutout and the electric plate in this picture.
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1383154182050439595ifBeFh
    it was my favorite mod i have ever done to a car. i think it was $150 for the electric part and 30 for the cutout itself. someday when i have money again i plan to install one on my current camaro and maybe go back to the stock muffler on it as well.