1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

exhause time!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Sep 28, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

1. so i have been upin the air about throwing a set of stacks on my truck, i have headers and true duel piping right were it would come through the bed. i m redoing my truck next year so i will be getting a new bed so i dont mind taking a whole saw to mine. i can get a set of 4 inch chrome stack tips for 20 bucks that i would paint flat black and install them.

2. taking the tradditional exhaust that comes out the back and taking everything off from the muffler back and leave the muffler with turn downs

3.leaving it alone and say fuuucccckkkk it let it rust away and hopefully some one will hit the truck by then.

for any one that doesnt like stacks please dont chime in because i know you answer. thanks for the help and deciding factor.

2. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Leave it alone, not sure what year

your truck is, but a friend of mine owns an exhaust shop and although good for his business it is amazing why somebody would take off stainless steel exhaust and throw on some less quality aluminized pipe that will rot away... Each to their own, we earned an HOA account this year and one of the property managers issues were complaints from tenants regarding the plow company's trucks that had excessively loud exhaust. Lack of professionalism on their part means oppurtunity for us I guess..

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Get some new stainless pipes bent, and grab some new flowmasters for it. They have stainless steel ones now and some that arent as loud as others. Then it will last a long friggin time. I wont give you my input on stacks on a gasser:waving:

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Stacks have their place and in the right application are pretty cool. A half ton short bed gas truck is not the right application in my opinion though.

GD8boltman's advice is pretty sound I think. Do kid stuff to your work truck and people will treat you like a kid...right or wrong you will get labeled.

If your current exhaust is good, leave it till it won't pass inspection.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree. Nothing but stock exhaust on a work truck. I personally love loud trucks, but I've found over the years that not too many customers do when you come up their driveway at 2AM. I used to get complaints all the time. From here on in, any work truck I own will have stock exhaust. I shudder at the thought of even plowing with my buddy's diesel this year.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

If you're looking for a after market exhaust, either for a little better sound or to take advantage of some mods on the truck, there are plenty of good aftermarket kits out there. A good one could cost you some cash though, it's not unheard of to spend $500 bucks to do a cat-back system right. Let me know what you're looking to get out of this mod and what you have for equipment, i'll let you know what will last, sound good, and not be so loud as to upset your clients.

7. the new boss 92

I'm assuming you talking about emissions? my truck is exempt so i wont have a problem there.

right now i have a 40 series flow master on it, sounds good, real good. but I'm looking for a look you wont see all the time for instance stacks. driveways are not a problem as i do them after everyone leaves for work(thetas how i was told as a sub). as far as noise 3 of my lots are owned by the same guy and tells me my truck isn't loud enought for safty so i dont think he would care. the others one are are small apartments and they have to be done the same as driveways. our condos might be another story. i would more than likly use an oem muffler with the stacks because i personally hate loud exhaust to, so i would use a oem replacement muffler.

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Wait a minute this truck is a gasser and you are even considering putting stacks on it? Don't be a fool...

9. mayhem

from Peru MA

No, I meant rotting out actually.

Well it sure would be a unique look. Ultimately its your truck, not mine. You have to look at it, drive it and listen to it. From my point of view, stacks on a short bed regular cab half ton truck are just plain wrong. Around here I see alot of trucks with stacks...enough that its becoming a played out look really...but they're all 1 ton deisels or bigger.

How about side pipes instead?

10. the new boss 92

i was almost thinking side piped, like coming out before the rear tire on the passenger side? im thinking about leaving it because im starting to look for some new trucks(2011) and i dont wanna be dumoing a wholelot more intomine if its going to be up for sale mid summer. im just tired of the exhaust and wanted to do something else but now i think about it more i think i might just leave it and let the next guy fucccckkkk with it.

11. mayhem

from Peru MA

See? You just need a more involved hobby.

12. the new boss 92

welli have like the whole day to myself, i work at night so i just have alot of thinking time. im thinking i might just bail on my truck next spring and buy a 2011 gasser possibly taking into considerationg im buying abike soon and then the truck sits in the garage for the whole summer unless it rains!

13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

14. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

If you do stacks do this so its VERY unique

[​IMG]

But dont be mad when people view it as this

[​IMG]

:laughing::laughing:

15. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i like how he didn't stop with the stacks on the 5.0. adding the train horns and towing mirrors really finished it off.

16. mayhem

from Peru MA

Well he needs the mirrors to see around the stacks.

And the horns? Well who doesn't like train horns on their vehicle?

17. the new boss 92