1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Exclusive liquids

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Broncslefty7, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

good morning, is anyone using a salt brine for post treatment after a storm to deal with hard packed or ice? i have seen tons of videos of people pretreating, and applying when there is a half inch of snow on ground but nothing of treating a plowed lot. any feed back would be great.

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

DLA, direct liquid applications can be used in certain situations for deicing operations but not for all. With straight brine it may become difficult as pavement temperatures drop. Plus remember a liquid is a solution that will dilute quicker and have a potential for refreeze. If you have the ability I'd DLA before salt after any event that had mid to upper 200 pavement yemps

3. SnowMatt13

DLA, direct liquid applications can be used in certain situations for deicing operations but not for all. With straight brine it may become difficult as pavement temperatures drop. Plus remember a liquid is a solution that will dilute quicker and have a potential for refreeze. If you have the ability I'd DLA before salt after any event that had mid to upper 20s pavement tempo and higher

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We've been doing that for years. It works just takes a little longer and use a little more but it is effective. I've learned if you pre treat the high traffic areas it not only keeps scraping cleaner, you use a lot less post storm. We do a chain of convenience stores that get very heavy traffic and when we pre treat just the drive lanes the results are so much better even after multiple plows

5. Broncslefty7

Sounds Good, my primary summer work is pool service and construction, so my salt and calcium flake pricing is extremely low. i generally pay about $55.00 per ton of salt and $180.00 per ton of calcium flake. it seems like a much cheaper alternative.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't worry, we were applying liquids in temps. in the negatives and it was still working just fine. Last year we had a very, very cold winter here in nwpa and we applied our liquid when it was -20 and it still worked, we had to put a bit more down (maybe like 30% more) but some of our lots were the only bare lots in the city.

Duncan IN likes this.
  7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Can you PMme with were you found salt for 55 a ton? That seems way below CT salt pricing I have seen. Even way below state bud pricing. T

8. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I agree with brian young. If you pretreat, then hard pack becomes a non issue. And it scrapes clean enough that you can use liquids to post treat.
    Just wondering how many hours before the storm starts do you guys go out to pre treat? I seem to have the best results when I put it down 6-8 hours before the storm starts as opposed to 1-2 hours before the storm starts.

9. SnowMatt13

You put down salt brine with pavement temperatures at -20???

10. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Can someone tell this to the town next to my hometown? They pre-treat 24-36 hours before the storm, and then have the worst roads in the area! Sorry for de-rail.

11. SnowMatt13

I've anti-iced my roads DAYS before an event with good luck. Depends on what your using and if you put it down right.

12. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

We got into liquids last year and were 95% just liquids though the whole winter. We did have some colder temps here in MD than the norm though, so that helped. This season we are trying to go 100% liquids and help other locals get into liquids as well. It all depends on temps, but if you pre-treat, plow, then post treat with a Brine/Calcium mix, it works pretty well in most cases. Here are some pics of just post treating after plowing last year with liquids only.

Liquid 5.jpeg

Liquid.jpeg

Liquid 4.jpeg

13. Broncslefty7

wow looks good thankyou for the visuals. can you do approximately the same amount of area with a liquid tank, for example. if i can salt 4 of my lots with 1 spreader full of salt, could i "liquify" those same 4 accounts with a liquid tank of like 300 gallons?

14. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We ran 26% well brine and we figured 1000 gallons was equal to 5000-6000# of rock salt. This was with post treating.

15. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

What size spreader do you have? How much does it hold? Yes, you need to figure on a good average of 100g per acre(90/10 mix) sprayed for post treating, depending on how well you clean the lot with the plow.

16. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

It was more like 150gal per acre. We have spreaders ranging from 1.5 - 6 yards. Our sprayer is 1000 gallons.

17. Broncslefty7

i have an f350 SRW with a blizzard ice chaser 1.8 yd sander.

18. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have for the last quite a few years been exclusive only LCC, only cause my contracts won't pay enough for bulk which drives me crazy but it is what it is. Yes it works for pre treat, post treat, and to burn off a 1/4 or so. I have sprayed 10's of thousands of gallons.

19. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

For me 1000 gallons of brine/magnesium was doing the equivalent of 5 tons of rock for pre-treating, and considering how effective it was for scraping the lot clean I went from putting down 16-20 tons post storm to just using 4 tons of rock plus 1000 gallons of liquid for post treating.

20. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I do have to say that one thing I absolutely love about liquid is the fact you can load a tank and leave it for the entire winter and it will never freeze...ever.