1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Excessive Tripping on Western... Ideas?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TWrench, Dec 8, 2007.

1. TWrench

TWrench Junior Member

Hi, new to plowing, recently installed a 7.5ft Ultramount on my 99 ram 2500. The truck has 2.5" leveling springs in the front and 33" tires, so the a-frame angle isn't ideal with the ground. The plow trips easily. Was wondering if there is anything that I can do to adjust either the angle of the blade, or tighten the trip springs? Is this a good idea, or should I just adjust the blade off the ground 1/4" or so with the shoes? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Throw the question out in the Western plow forum. Off hand I would say the attach angle of the plow is wrong. The A frame of the plow should be parallel with the ground. The Trip springs should be adjusted so that the coils just start to separate apart from each other.
    Make sure all the bolts are tight on everything.

3. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

or get a boss lol no your right the attach angle is wrong. correct that first then see what happenes. good luck

4. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

I have an 02 2500hd chevy with the bars turned up a bit and 33" tires, granted it wont sit as high as your ram but in either case when the plow frame is attached to the truck it should be parallel to the ground. the height of the vehicle shouldnt affect the angle of the plow frame. i can see how it might affect the angle of the blade when its on the ground because of the height difference but wouldnt think it would affect the plowing that much. im not familiar with western plows but does the whole blade trip or just the edge? that may have something to do with it tripping so easily.

5. danv

danv Junior Member

If your plow is an older style I would stop and have a spacer welded to the top of the ears on the plow a frame. This wil lower the rear of the plow and get the frame back level. A cheap fix.

If you have a unimount if is not so easy and I would look for a fab shop with inhouse designer.

dan

6. by a bigger plow such as a blizzard or a boss. thats what i did, NO SERIOUSLY!

I had a western 8'6" that spent more time flopped over than plowing snow. So i sold it! No I bought a blizzard for that truck and haven't tripped it yet, its wonderful!

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ditto, lower your truck or your mount. good luck