1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Excessive Play at King Pin??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by SpruceLandscape, Oct 14, 2007.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I have a 2005 straight blade that has seen average use at best with these last two winters. What is an acceptable amount of lateral movement at the king pin? If I set my plow on the ground with the a-frame resting on the stand, I can move the light tower quite a bit from side to side. I've tried tightening up the pin, but it seems to be fine. I can take a measurement if you would like, but whats a good rule of thumb? Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever pushed up and down on the end of the blade when the plow is mounted on the truck? Doing it this way is a little better of a test.. It should have some slop but not an excessive amount. Tightening the king bolt should take much of the slop out. If it doesn't, then something is worn, either the bolt or the quadrant as the boss's won't usually wear out the pivot hole in the A-frame.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Look things over like B&B suggested.
    After a plow is used for a while (broken in )
    It will have some slop.
    I think that they scrape better at this stage as the slop allows the plow to fallow the contours of the ground.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% agree... add's a little side to side "float".

5. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Thanks guys, I agree about how it lets it follow the contours a little better, but I'm just wondering at what point is it considered to be too much? I'll see about getting a measurement side to side in the next day or so and let me know what you think. THanks

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I drilled my bushings out on the quadrant and put in just 1/8 bigger pins, really took the slop out. They do float better when sloppy but if you let them go to long you have to weld in new bushings and it is a pain.