1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

excessive blade tripping

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pashtrd, Feb 10, 2008.

1. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

I have a conventional 7'6" plow mounted on my 2001 Dodge Ram with a 4" suspension lift.
    The last storm we had, was terrible on my truck. It was wet heavy slop and about 12" of it. I plowed my apartment complex 5 times that day, just to keep up with it. It is a long push, and the wings i built held up just fine. My issue was with blade tripping. It was almost constant. The blade would basically fold itself over, and pop back up when i would stop. I was not plowing fast, in fact i could have been going to slow? After doing a search i think my problem is my approach angle? my mount sits 12.5" above the ground, and i know Western specifies 9.5" - 10.5" range. Can that have that big of an affect on the tripping?
    The trip springs (3 of them) are fairly new, but i do not know if they are adjusted correctly (paper trick). Am i on the right path? anything else that needs to be looked at?
    Thanks
    Matt
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you'll probably always have that problem with a smaller plow like yours. i had the same problem with my st meyer 7.5...... my personal plow now is a 1200 lb 9 footer with 6 springs and don't have that problem.

3. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

i have a 4'' lift on my truck when i had my straigh blade it would trip all the time you either have to lower your mount or live with it -i lowered my mount it gets to be a pia after a while

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

day tripper

lower the mount to the correct height and add a extra spring .it should help with that heavy wet stiff it's still going to trip some to keep from breaking something ,just take smaller bite's .

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

This last storm, if it was like it was here was an exception. everyones blade was tripping bad. Our topkick with a 10 foot western was tripped the whole pass. even my boss V was tripping which it doesnt to very often. this crap snow was brutal on the equipment. we had to have skids brought to most of our lots to scrape up this mess.

6. gump

gump Member

I had the same problem also, along with the rest of the guy's I plow with. I think it was just because the snow as so heavy and wet.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Heavey wet, packed snow is prone to trip your blade. You can try tightening the springs up a bit. I would rather have a blade that trips too much, then not enough.

8. pashtrd

pashtrd Member

I understand your point, but it was tripping on flat level ground. I was not hitting any uneven surfaces. It was actually causing the blade to leave an uneven surface. It would dig into the snow, then pop up, than dig and pop up etc. It also seems way to hard on the truck.I will first sttempt to adjust the springs, but in the meantime i am going to drop the A frame so it is level with the ground. Both need to be done to be right. Correct?
    And per a previous post, this was the worst storm we had seen in over 10 years. We rarely see snow that wet and heavy, in those amounts. We generally see 6" or less. the part that worries me, is i did not wait until the storm was done, i plowed every couple of inches.

9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

i dont think my boss v has ever tripped as much as it did that storm...lol

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Our blade's range from 9ft to 16ft and all of them were tripping all the time. We had to make paths to the piles and then just take a bit at a time. It was heavy snow and there was so much of it, it was fustrating but we got the job done.

11. plowmaster1

plowmaster1 Junior Member

angle

Its the angle of the the plow to the truck thats to much it happened to me. also check your springs you should justt be able to slide a peice of paper throught it.