1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Excessive Beam (Clyinder) Mount Play

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by 2001FordF250, Jan 28, 2015.

1. 2001FordF250

2001FordF250 Junior Member
    from NY

My straight blade plow seems to have developed a good amount of play in the four mounts for the angle cylinders. (3/4" x 5" Clevis Pins). I would like to know if anyone has experienced this wear and/or if the wear is in the angle cylinder itself. They all seem to have the same amount of play.

Thanks for your help!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Look at the pins, there usually bent.
  3. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Mine have all grade 8 bolts , if you can keep them tight you can limit the wear on the blade mount. The shafts on the rams are a lot harder steel than the mounts so they will wear less. That being said using grade 8 bolts can/will result in shearing the bolts right off, when I get a noticeable play I know ive sheared a bolt off, it seems only on the blade end, the answer, I don't know , I put some grade 5 bolts back in there hoping not to shear them off but im hoping I don't bend them so much that I cant get them out too.
  4. scottr

scottr Senior Member

If you do some searching on this site you should be able to fine several threads and pictures of fixes for this issue. Welding a stop on the frame to hit just before the ram bottoms out will keep the pins from bending / braking. There is some discussion about the best place for this to be done as forces can be transferred to other locations. Thumbs Up
  5. 2001FordF250

2001FordF250 Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks Guys, I will do more research. My apologies for a repeat post. Hopefully they are just bent.
  6. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If this is the old style plow they are for sure bent. If you weld stops on the A frame top and bottom it will stop the pins from bending. On my 8611 full size plow we had the cylinders pull apart . After the stops were welded on we have not had any trouble.