1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Excessive angle lever travel in 4 way valve - Cable control

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by WyzGuy, Oct 9, 2014.

1. WyzGuy

WyzGuy Junior Member

I recently purchased an old cable controled Western plow. The issue I am having is that it seems like the angle cable doesnt have enough travel to engage the valve. The actual pump is running when controls are used. I can manually move the 4 way valve lever enough to make both left and right work. I can also over adjust the cable in either direction to make it angle in one direction but not the other. When centered neither will work. So far I have:

Replaced with new control cable (adjustable)
    Disassembled control and verified everything is in good condition
    Extensive time adjusting lift valve (also new)/2 way in relation to the 4 way.

So I am looking at either the control (SAM aftermarket) doesnt provide sufficient cable travel OR there is an issue with the 4 way valve resulting in the need for more lever travel to engage valve. I am close to fabricating a shorter lever, which will effectivly shorten the required throw.

Does anyone have additional thoughts or suggestiuons? This is my first experience working on these things.

2. rrkroll

rrkroll Junior Member
    from Hancock

I am not sure if I follow completely, but the circuit in these things is very simple. Does the plow go up and down well? If the up/down valve is not exactly in neutral, the fluid will be diverted before it hits the angle valve. I had this happen one year, and it turned out that the up down cable was bound up. I ended up adjusting the crap out of the lift/lower valve trying to remedy a stuck cable, and the main symptom was the angle didn't work.

3. WyzGuy

WyzGuy Junior Member

Up and down works just fine - adjusted to factory manual spec. I did verify the 3 way lever was centered. Since I am able to get the angle to work in both directions by manually moving the 4 way valve lever beyond what it moves using the cable control (or over adjusting the cable in either direction)I feel it validates the hydrolic fluid is flowing correctly. The hold up seems to be the cable control not providing enough travel to move the control lever enough to engage both left and right when centered.

Perhaps I will try notching out the left/right gates on the controler cover to see if I can get a little more cable travel.

4. WyzGuy

WyzGuy Junior Member

Just an FYI for others seeing this - I ended up elongating the left/right gates on the control by approx 1/8" on each side. Seemed to do the trick.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need either a new angle cable, platen or controller base, I'd guess cable first, platen second and if you need a Platen check the base carefully.