1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

excess salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TPC Services, Mar 6, 2011.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

We have a temp site that we will need to be breaking down here in the next few weeks. We have about 10 tons of left over bulk in it an no where to store it. instead of just tossing it what are some other ideas that don't cost a arm an a leg or is a big time consuming ordeal ??

2. Where are you ay I would buy it from you.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Throw it on craigslist for cheap!

4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

5. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Give it to a local DPW
    Make a deal w/ a local contractor to store it.

6. TPC Services

north side of Des Moines,IA Might be a little far from you. I'm kind of working with a larger company I know that has a couple inside storage areas to see if they would buy it or let me store it there with them. but just in case that a no go need to think of something else to do with it. Have it on Craigslist to.

7. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Have you thought of contacting your local township or County to see if they will pay you to spreat it on some dirt or gravel roads for dust control?

8. TPC Services

Justing in the early stages of thinking on what to do with it. I'll ask around thats an idea,

Thanks.

9. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Wish it weren't so far or I'd come over and get it from you.

10. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

you might be able to spread the rest of that before the season is really over....
    Call a couple local contractors ask them if they need some salt!

Only reason im saying that is because around me, All the local yards are done filling up the bins of salt....I dont think its a shortage. I think where they get it from prob. has a min. on delivery size- lets say its 100 tons-- This late in the season its really hard to predict what the weather will be like....So i really dont blame them..

11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I know some guys who donate it to their city/ township stockpile, get a receipt for it and use it as a tax write off.

12. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Starting to think about the same thing. I have about 20 yards left. I was thinking about getting a 20 yard tall dumpster and putting it in that. Will take less space and I can bury it in the corner of the yard. Just not sure about the cost.