1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Excess Rust with Magic Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by halfracer, Oct 29, 2011.

1. halfracer

halfracer Junior Member
    from CT

Last season I went to Magic Salt in one of my stainless spreaders exclusively and used salt sand in the others. I performed my normal end of season maintenance of washing the spreaders thoroughly and spraying the chains and slingers down with motorcycle chain lube.

As I prepare for the upcoming season my salt sand spreaders look fine but the Magic Salt spreader is showing excessive rust and corrosion on the non-stainless parts. I thought the claims included neutralizing rust. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Was I sold something that wasn't Magic Salt? It looked like MS (brown-tinted rocksalt), it didn't leave a rocksalt residue. I'm confused, any ideas?

2. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Can i ask where you bought the product? Are you sure it was magic? Don't have to give a company name, just what town..

3. halfracer

halfracer Junior Member
    from CT

I bought it in the greater Danbury area. Like I said, it was sold as MS and looked like MS, I'm just amazed at the rust. I'm not one of those guys that just parks the spreader still full of material, I clean and lube at the end of the season.

4. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

I noticed same thing put pure magic liquid in coffee can and in a week ate right threw