1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Excavator operator dies in accident

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by kcress31, Feb 16, 2010.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here are some pictures where an excavator fell off an embankment about 130 km west of where I am from near Schreiber, Ontario. The rail flat-bed rail car is around 55 feet long so it's gives you an idea of the height the machine fell from. All I know about the accident was that the operator was scaling some rock off the embankment. Hopefully they will learn something from this accident so it does not happen again.

JCCPicture 0111.jpg

Picture 0363.jpg

Picture 0222.jpg
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

To bad,would he of lived if he had his belt on? Just assuming he wasn't wearing one.
  3. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Wow, what exactly killed him? That doesn't look to smashed up.
  4. APLC

APLC Senior Member

the force of impact from a height like that with a machine that size come to a sudden stop dam thats to bad even with the belt he might have still been really badly hurt
  5. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I don't believe he was wearing his seat belt. Two years ago near the same location, two CPR rail cars containing wood pulp came loose from a freight train and rolled down an embankment and into the lake. Nobody was injured in that incident.
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i think the sudden stop at the bottom did it, looks like he slid down gaining alot of speed the he stopped quickly. it hit hard enough to remove to counter weight, at least thats what i think is in the water.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's too bad. Looks like he broke the house off the turntable when he landed. I'm guessing he was prying a piece out?
  8. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

How do you get that outta there?
  9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I wonder how long it took rescue crews to get down and realize he had deceased???
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

prob take the water route...that is a big drop
  11. fordplowdude

fordplowdude Member

WOW what an unfortionate accident. I don't think the seat belt would make a differance in a situation like this. The impact even sheared the counterweight off and you could see it underwater!
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably a crane. Either rail mounted or barge mounted?
  13. ajslands

Probaly barge, didn't the backhoe tip the flatbed over? So if it did then iam sure a crane will? But Iam not a train man, Ian a plow guy
  14. MJay

MJay Member

Sad news.
    Somebody may have just lost a Father, Husband, Brother, Son..........
  15. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

wow, feel sorry for the family and friends left behind...
  16. ajslands

What news site did you get it from, cuz I google lt and only found one about a guy in co that tipped one over in a apond
  17. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

probably tangled with high tension line and was electocuted--notice broken wires
  18. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

The boom is bent and the counter weight snapped off? That's a lot of force. Must have been completely upside down to bend the boom like that. That's a bad deal.
  19. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've run a few excavators and in order for them to be stable then need to be PLANTED on the ground and have their weight spread evenly across the tracks.... How can someone put an excavator of that size on a railway car the has tracks about 4-5 feet in width? If you were putting some weight behind that hammer and a peice of rock let go it would definitely take the machine right over.... Not very smart in my eyes... But regardless of looking back, I am sorry that the operator was killled, and am also very sorry for his family....
  20. timberjack

timberjack Member

Never saw the photos before, but it happened about 3 weeks ago. The fellow lived about 10 miles west of me in the adjacent township, though i've never met him.

Only real details i know, are the company he worked for was contracted to widen that area of railbed. Seems it's pretty much the one spot on that route where overwidth loads couldn't go. With the upsurge in windfarm development in the area, more and more turbine blades and towers are to be sent through.

Here's one story from the local news site

And a follow up from the next week.

Most likely, I'd think the excavator was on the rail car so they could move it back to the nearest shunt every time a freight train was rolling through. It was probably too far (matter of miles) to just let it walk each time, and sadly was the wrong thing to do.

There's a newsletter for industrial accidents here, and a lot of the time they profile certain ones, and detail what went wrong, why, and how it could have been prevented. It'll be 6-12 months before it's published though.