1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EX90 Lights problem! HELP!!

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Mike S, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Just bought a EX 90 for my 06 Chevy C4500. Took my time to install it and the plow works fine no problems there. The Lights dont work at all. With it wired up in normal mode only the running lights work on the plow and my headlights on the truck dont work. The dealer said to try the switched ground mode so I did and now nothing works. I also went over and recheck everything many times. When installed I clean all conections and used dielectric grease on every thing. I wish they would just tell you which apps where reverse ground! I just say it could be in the instructions. How do I know which mode its should be in so I can start trouble shooting. There is a trouble shooting guide for the plow but not for the lights. Any input would be great. The dealer and I went over thing. They are not sure what else it could be and what to check now. On the website it says I have the right adapter harness and that there is only one for the truck. It makes me so mad tat everything I buy I have to be that guy that has a wierd problem with everything!!!!!!....... I hate lights! Every plow I ever owned the lights where always causing a problem or where a problem!

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

For some reason I think I remember on westerns site that there was a seperate wiring harness for the c chassis's. Could be wrong but you might want to check forsure then compare the differences.

3. Mike S

From what I can tell and see on the website only one harness for the C4500. Both thier plow match system and there list only show one harness. The dealer says only one harness. I also thought at first this is the wrong one but I guess not. I wish it was that would be easy. Thanks for the input! Let me know if you think of any thing else! Oh by the way I had a fresh set of eyes come over tonight and go over everything and he is also agreeing with me that there is some thing wrong. Im now at a stand still.

4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

thats not switched ground. get the lighting reference manual on the website www.snowdoggplows.com under tech support. check the pinout of the 16071140. i've never seen a problem with that truck.

5. Mike S

Ok so what am I looking for? Just looked at the website not sure... I saw the light reference manual and not sure what I should start with first. When you say check the pin out of the 16071140 you want me to check and make sure all the pins are right?

6. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive - I wasn't at my computer. The page is attached - and yes, I was suggesting that you check the pinout. Fastest way is to make sure that ground wire is going to the A pin and not the center. 4 years ago there were some miswired 16071140's - dealers were supposed to scrap them - but they occasionally show up.

That's the only issue I've ever seen. There's nothing special about a 4500 that I'm aware of.

As I recall with this issue the Low beams work OK, but the high beams do not (it lights both low and high beams dimly).

Attached Files:

7. Mike S

Ok I will check that tomorrow. Thanks! Oh I was messing with it today and when I angled the plow the high beam on the plow lights came on while the running lights where on but I did not have my headlights on or running lights on. Thought that was odd.

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

That is strange. There is no connection between the hydraulics and the lights other than the black and red wires used to power the relay module (with the male quick disconnects/spades).

Make sure the red/white wire under the dash (with the in-line fuse) is to a good switched power source (not a DRL circuit, of low beam circuit, etc.)

Make sure that the black wire that goes to the motor solenoid, chassis ground, and relay module wire is well grounded. For troubleshooting you can jumper that ring terminal to battery ground (always a safe bet). Make sure the ring terminal is properly crimped onto the wire as well.

When wierd things happen, the ground is the problem more often than not.

9. Mike S

Ive done all that and tested the ground its good and all other connections. I even ran the red and white wire direct to the battery, still no change. Im going to print out the ref manual and check all the pins.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  10. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

The problem has been identified. It's a quad headlamp system that I've only run into once before. It looks like a 2B connector, but it's not (it's a 2A/1A).

The parts shipped out to your dealer today and should plug right in (the 16071140 is still used - so you don't need to undo the park/turn tap-ins).

Sorry for the headache - every once in a while we run into an unusual configuration we haven't seen before. Now I just need to get the app guide updated to spare future installers some pain.

Scott

11. Mike S

Ok great! You are the man! I knew it was some thing stupid! You talked to crosby equip then? I went over every thing today and was going to tell that I came up with nothing but you got it figured out! I will call them in the morning. Thanks again!

12. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Hmmm... I talked to Kunz equipment (in Batavia, Ohio). I said, "Is this the guy on plowsite?" and he said yes.

I guess if he was calling about a different guy, the good news is still that I bet I know what the problem is (quad headlights). If you were working with Crosby, have Mike give me a call.

Thanks,
    Scott

13. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

OK - either you're going to get two of these kits (one from Crosby or one from Kunz) - or there is someone else in Ohio with the exact same problem. Either way, you should have it tomorrow.

Happy plowing... We got maybe 1/8" of snow over in our neck of the woods - maybe the salters will at least be out tonight if it stays cold...

14. Mike S

Ok so are you sending me one or are you sending it to crosby?

15. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I sent it direct to you UPS yesterday - I would have expected it to get their today. Perhaps tomorrow I guess.

16. Mike S

Ok cool thanks!

17. Mike S

I just want every one to know problem fixed and everything works great! Thanks Scott!!!! Oh ya Scott if you could send me your email I will send you pics of every thing. Thanks again!