1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EX80 Wings Installed / 1st Push

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by KAG, Dec 10, 2009.

1. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Ok went up to Knapheide trucks in KC this morning to get the wings installed I ordered. Its about 120 miles from me but its the closest Snow Dogg dealer around here. The total install took them about 3 1/2hrs. A little longer than I expected as I waited for it.

First thing is my wings looks absolutely nothing like the wings I saw posted on here by "Peterbilt" / http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=88765
    I will post some photos tomorrow night. Mine look more like those wings you see on most other plows, black, hole drilled through mold board, and they do not fold back like the other guy's wings. You basically have to either have them mounted in the plow position or take them off. I was not very pleased about all this as I have a set of brand new in the box wings in my garage for an back up Meyer blade that looks exactly like these. Its my fault for assuming the EX80 wings were the stainless steel wings and folded back in the stored position. They did not come with a second set of guide sticks. Also mounted they do detract quite a bit from that clean stainless steel look, but looks are second to function in my book. The bill was $478.00

With all that said once back in the area I plowed several lots with them on. They did well on loose snow but on snow pack I ended up taking them off to angle cut better. I figured that would be the case in advance. I can say that for fresh snow fall I will use them and they should really help but anything else..... off they come so the blade will cut better.

As always this is just my opinion and your mileage may vary..........
  2. fordf350

fordf350 Junior Member

can't wait to see what your wings look like, in the peterbilt pics they look awsome.
  3. KAG

KAG Senior Member

His wings do look great......:cry:
  4. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Ok, went out and took a quick photo

wings 005.jpg
  5. snowjams

snowjams Junior Member

WOW,i just got a price of $600 installed on HD75 but thanks for posting because i will be expecting the SS type that do fold back.I will call friday to cofirm with the dealer.
  6. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Those ones are pro wings you can get them for under $200 on line I have a set for my meyers I cant believe it took 3 1/2 hours. They do work, watch out I bent mine getting to close to curbs I loved mine when i got them but got sick of taking them off so haven't used them in a couple years.
  7. KAG

KAG Senior Member

I know 3 1/2hrs..........The thing is I asked for Snow Dogg wings and I saw the box prior, just did not look inside at the dealer, and it said "Buyers" on it so I "assumed". Already dreading the on and off thing......
  8. plowman69

plowman69 Member
    from amherst

those are pro wings I bought my wings at niagara performance in NY they offered me both wings but I didn't want to pull them off every time I put them on myself less than an hour only $499 cash and carry
  9. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

Snow Dogg is Buyers! One and the same company!
  10. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Well you got Pro Wings that is a universal plow wing. Peterbuilt got the Snow Dogg brand wing (which Buyers also makes) that is Snow Dogg specific.

There must of been a misunderstanding of what you wanted. I would suspect that the SS moldboard will eventually pull out where the whole is as it is not welded to the gussets.

I would explain to the dealer what happened and see if you can get them replaced. Unfortunately if they are replaced you will have holes in your plow without reason, unless you get a new skin for it.

I guess the lesson would be that if anyone is getting the Snow Dogg wings make sure the dealer understands they have a new wing out.
  11. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I guess the "SNOWDOGG by Buyers" decal on the moldboard kind of gave that away... :)

Yes, in case there is any confusion - SnowDogg/SaltDogg/ScoopDogg/DumperDogg, etc. are all Buyers Products brands.
    The Pro-Wing has been around for a long time and is a nice, inexpensive plow wing. The SnowDogg wings are premium wings built specifically for the SnowDogg HD and EX plows.
  12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I can install a set on my my meyer poly boards in about an hour. not even. And that is welding them on. That sucks the idiots at the dealer did not know they had new wings specifically for your plow. The pro wings work well but I would rather have the ones that fold back.
  13. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Like I said, my fault for assuming......but also theirs too as a dealer they be up on products for the brands they carry. I plan to call but more than likely I am just hosed. The more I look at them and the Big hole in my mold board the more irritated I get over this.

Truly the lesson I hope any who read this is to be anal about the specific wings they say they have or can get. Look at the wings prior to them taking the truck back into the shop. This is a big place and I know the guy working on mine more than likely got pulled off to work on something else and then I was charged total time in shop of 3 1/2 hours.

Lesson learned......

wings 006.jpg

wings 007.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009